Letter from the editor: Share your story with us

All too often, I find myself defending the same 45 words.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

And all too often, I am addressing the same questions.

“Isn’t The Daily Gamecock fake news?”

The climate surrounding the press has changed over the last four years. Readership has decreased as distrust has increased.

Freedom of the press is important because the press provides the community with information, increases awareness and holds the university and student organizations accountable.

Fake news is the deliberate spread of misinformation, not news that you do not agree with. Many people who use the phrase "fake news" often do not understand what it is.

“Who is the adult that approves this story?”

That “adult” is me.

I do not have the years of professional journalism experience to justify why I will make the decisions I do. My experience will come from the three years I have spent working on The Daily Gamecock. 

I still have a lot to learn.

There are many times when I look back on our coverage and situations in the newsroom and I feel a sense of pride in the conversation we started. I have also felt regret and questioned the choices that were made. But it is easy to look back, knowing the result, and wish things were different. 

Those times are behind us, each with its own lesson. 

As the student newspaper, with over 100 reporters, we produce daily online content, newsletters and a weekly print edition. The stories, photos and designs are all produced, edited and published by students. The purpose of student media organizations is to give us the opportunity to gain the closest "real world experiences" we can get. 

The reality is we will make mistakes. We are student journalists and don’t take ourselves too seriously.

With each mistake, we will reflect and strive to not make the same mistake again.

“Why doesn’t The Daily Gamecock support the university and the Gamecocks?”

The Daily Gamecock is the editorially independent student newspaper at the University of South Carolina. Editorial independence means the editors have the freedom to make decisions about content without the interference of outside institutions.

We are not the public relations department for the university or Gamecock Athletics. It is our job to inform readers about what is happening on our campus and in our community without a lens that is clouded by an agenda.

Whether you have faced an issue that is positive or negative, we will report on it.

Have you or a friend struggled with mental health? Share it with us.

Are there issues you face in your residence halls? Share it with us.

How sustainable do you think the university is? Share it with us.

My hope is that our coverage will encourage a dialogue on issues that are often infused with stigmas and swept under the rug. Issues such as mental health, sexual assault and party culture will be at the forefront of our conversations in the newsroom.

But we cannot do it without you. Our readers are at the center of every story we produce. 

Let’s continue this conversation together.