Column: A guide to Valentine's Day

Ah, Valentine’s Day. That time of year when every store is swathed in red and covered with heart-themed decorations. Some look forward to the love-filled day while others believe it to be a holiday people use as an excuse to flaunt the extravagant dates they have planned. Whether you love or hate Valentine’s Day, here’s a guide to a few things you can do with a date, your friends or even by yourself.

What to do if you are single on Valentine’s Day: 

·  If you and your galentines want to go out for Valentine’s Day celebrations, head to The Senate for its "All the Single Ladies: Valentine’s Day Ball w/ Beyoncé & Justin Timberlake Tributes." The Senate is located at 1022 Senate Street, and the show starts at 9 p.m with general admission priced at $10.

·  Invite your friends over and order a heart-shaped pizza from Pizza Hut or Papa Johns. Everyone loves pizza.

·  Grab some friends and cash in on those great Valentine’s Day restaurant deals. If you really want to treat yourself, go places you may not normally go, such as Olive Garden or California Dreaming.

·  Have your friends over and bash some of the “best” romantic comedies, or go to a movie theater with your friends and see that scary movie you have all been anticipating. 

What to do if you're coupled up on Valentine’s Day: 

·  Does your special someone enjoy making pottery? Or do you just really want to recreate that scene from "Ghost?" If so, celebrate at The Mad Platter, located at 3101 Millwood Ave. Reservations include a decorated table and a dessert, and the $10 deposit fee goes toward creating a hand-painted gift. The Valentine's Day special is from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

·  Take your significant other to see "The Photograph" on Valentine’s Day. Who doesn’t love a romantic movie? And who doesn’t love Issa Rae? If you or your significant other answered “me” to either of those questions, well, I doubt you both hate movie popcorn.

·  Make dinner for your date. Taking someone to a nice restaurant is great and all, but if you really want to make someone feel special, cook for him or her. It doesn’t have to be complex or fancy, but an attempt to make his or her favorite food will definitely make your significant other feel loved.

·  If you and your date are into a more low-key evening, have a rom-com movie marathon and order a heart-shaped pizza to share. Whether you enjoy the movies or hate them, you can definitely enjoy a nice cheesy pizza together.

Whether you are excited for Valentine’s Day or absolutely dreading it, just remember that it’s one day. You can treat it as a special occasion, or you can just treat it like any normal day. But most importantly, whether you are celebrating the day with someone or not, make sure you are doing something you want.