USC students to receive federal COVID-19 aid

The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships announced Wednesday that students can obtain funds from the CARES Act. 

The CARES Act was recently passed by Congress to provide grants for students who have dealt with financial hardship due to COVID-19.

The UofSC CARES will distribute $10.7 million in federal financial assistance to more than 20,000 students affected by the pandemic. 

“UofSC CARES grant recipients must be enrolled for the spring 2020 semester and attest that they incurred expenses directly related to the closure of the campus due to the COVID-19 pandemic,” according to a university press release.

Students can review the award on Self-Service Carolina. If a student has not suffered any economic issues due to the virus, they can decline the grant.

“The wellbeing of students is our number one priority, which is why we are pleased to begin disbursement of the CARES Act money,” President Bob Caslen said in the release. “Our staff has worked quickly to take care of those students hardest hit financially by COVID-19, and we will distribute every dollar of this money as quickly as possible.” 

If students and parents have questions about the UofSC CARES grant, they should contact the financial aid office by email at USCFAID@sc.edu or by phone at (803) 777-8134. Questions may also be directed to their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/USCFinaid and Twitter at @USCFAID.