Brief: USC top administrators, coaches to take voluntary pay cuts

USC plans to implement a voluntary 10% pay reduction for President Bob Caslen, top administrators and top-paid coaches for the 2020-2021 fiscal year. 

As a part of the cost-saving strategy, this reduction is expected to save more than $1.2 million to help combat the financial impact from COVID-19.

“The global health crisis will continue to have a significant impact on the university, and I applaud our university officials and coaches for their willingness to personally contribute to our institution’s financial health,” Caslen said in a press release. “From the very beginning of the pandemic, our leadership team has responded with tremendous professionalism and a singular determination to help the university navigate through this unprecedented challenge. I thank them for their deep commitment to our students and our mission.”

Head football coach Will Muschamp, head men's basketball coach Frank Martin and head women's basketball coach Dawn Staley, who all make more than $1 million, are among those volunteering for the reduction.

Caslen, athletics director Ray Tanner and senior-level cabinet members are also volunteering for the reduction. Caslen currently earns $650,000 a year.

Pay reductions will go into effect July 1, the beginning of the next fiscal year.