Recipe: Braided breadsticks with a lemony cheese sauce

<p>A picture of braided breadsticks dipped in a delectable cheese sauce.</p>
A picture of braided breadsticks dipped in a delectable cheese sauce.

Yes, we just made breadsticks even better. The crispy, golden-brown crust pairs great with the refreshing and velvety cheese sauce that can be served hot or cold. Start your summer off strong with this savory treat.

Servings: 12 6-inch breadsticks and about 2 cups of sauce

Time: 1.5 hours

Ingredients:

- 1.5 lbs pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)

- 2 tbsp butter, plus more for brushing over bread sticks

- 2 tbsp flour

- 2 cups milk

- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)

- 2 cloves garlic, minced

- 3 tsp minced fresh rosemary

- 1/2 tsp ground mustard (optional)

- 2/3 to 1 cup finely grated cheese (any variety)

- 4 tbsp lemon juice (about 2 lemons)

Directions:

Breadsticks:

1. Make sure dough has finished rising and is at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, then divide each piece into three smaller pieces. Roll each small piece into a thin log that is about 7 inches long.

3. Pinch three logs at one end and set up for the braid. 

4. Lift the left-most log and lay it over the center log. Then lift the right-most log and lay it over the new center log. Repeat about three times until each log is used up and pinch the ends together.

5. Tuck the pinched ends under the braid and repeat steps 3-5 with the remaining dough.

6. Arrange the braids on the baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.

7. Once puffy, brush the braids with milk and bake them on the center rack for 20-24 minutes or until deep golden brown.

8. Once out of the oven, brush the bread sticks with butter and top with salt, pepper, herbs, garlic or your choice of seasoning.

Cheese Sauce:

1. While your braids are baking, melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat.

2. Add the minced garlic, rosemary, lemon zest and mustard powder. Cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.

3. Add the flour and stir until a roux forms. Cook it for a couple minutes while stirring.

4. Add the milk to the pan little by little, working out any lumps that form.

5. Once all the milk is added, let the sauce cook until it thickens. It is done once you can coat the back of a spoon and draw a line through it.

6. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice and grated cheese until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.