Letter from the editor: Take on the unknown

<p>Second-year journalism student Sydney Dunlap poses on top of a newspaper rack on Jan. 8, 2023. Dunlap was appointed as the Daily Gamecock's 2023 editor-in-chief.&nbsp;</p>
Second-year journalism student Sydney Dunlap poses on top of a newspaper rack on Jan. 8, 2023. Dunlap was appointed as the Daily Gamecock's 2023 editor-in-chief. 

There is nothing like the first day of class to help remind you of how nerve-racking it can be to start something new — especially when your first day also signifies your first semester as editor-in-chief. 

It's daunting taking on the role of editor-in-chief of The Daily Gamecock. I’ve been desperately trying to prepare over the break, but every time I think I’m ready, I stumble upon another task that I haven't tackled yet. Despite having been a part of this organization for multiple semesters now, it feels like I’m taking on the unknown. 

And as someone who loves to plan, the unknown is terrifying. 

This feeling has led me to reminisce about my first semester on the leadership team for The Daily Gamecock. I applied as a photo editor and ended up as an assistant news editor — a position I would never have picked for myself. I felt inexperienced and underprepared. 

I remember crying one afternoon after a particularly stressful day, wishing I hadn’t accepted the job and had taken the familiar route instead. Looking back, I’m glad I didn’t listen to myself. 

I’ve realized that the opportunities that scare us, the unknown, also give us the greatest opportunities to grow.

That first leadership role was stressful and challenging, but it also allowed me to become a real journalist for the first time in my life, guiding me to where I am today.

Now, I am reminding myself of that experience as I take on my biggest challenge yet. It has helped me realize that the unknown can be exciting. 

Taking this semester head-on means I get to recognize the talents of a new set of student journalists, designers and photographers. It means I can lead the Daily Gamecock in covering important and impactful stories. It means I can build new skills and discover new interests.

So many of you are taking on your own challenges this semester, whether it be a demanding course load, a leadership position or another personal hurdle. I hope you’ll allow your nerves to fuel you instead of scare you, because taking on the unknown means growing into the best version of yourself, and I hope we can do it together. 

Of course, we can’t reach that goal without the help of our community. Contact us if you have a story you think we should cover or a suggestion of how we could improve. 

If you think joining The Daily Gamecock could be a part of your new challenge, join our team