Recipe: A heartwarming recipe for chicken parmesan

Chicken parmesan, an incredible Italian dish, has worked its way into the hearts of many, and while it may seem like an intimidating platter, it’s simple to prepare.

For too many college students, homemade meals are a luxury that feel foreign after months of dining hall food. However, there is still hope for your insatiable taste buds with this recipe.

A quick grocery run will provide you everything you need for this easy, cheesy staple.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

- 1 cup of Japanese Panko breadcrumbs (The size of your chicken cutlets may determine the amount of Panko you will need, have an extra cup on hand just in case. If you have trouble locating it, it's typically found in the Asian food section.)

-  ½ cup of regular breadcrumbs

- 3 medium-sized eggs

- 1 teaspoon of garlic or onion powder (or a mix of both)

- 4 tablespoons of chopped-up parsley

- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic

- 3 chicken breasts halved horizontally for a total of 6 filets

- 1 cup of parmesan cheese

- 6 ounces of sliced or shredded mozzarella

- ½ cup of tomato sauce 

- Olive oil

- Oregano

- Salt and pepper for seasoning

Preparation Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

2. Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and beat evenly until it is about ½ inch thick. A cooking mallet will do nicely.

3. Whisk eggs, salt, pepper, minced garlic and half of the chopped parsley in a medium-sized bowl that is wide enough to dip the chicken in.

4. Mix your regular breadcrumbs, Panko breadcrumbs, garlic and/or onion powder and 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese in another medium-sized bowl.

5. Soak the chicken in the egg mixture and put it aside to marinate for 15 minutes.

6. Coat the chicken with the breadcrumb mixture after marinating.

Cooking Instructions:

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet (just enough to evenly coat the bottom) at medium-high temperature until it comes to a simmer.

2. Cook the filets on each side for four to six minutes, or until golden brown.

3. Place cooked chicken on an oiled tray and top evenly with tomato sauce, the rest of the parmesan, mozzarella, parsley and a sprinkle of oregano.

4. Place in the oven once fully preheated and cook for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and bubbling.

5. Take dish out of the oven and enjoy a heaping serving of Italian cuisine!