Column: Practice loving yourself this Valentine's Day

Not everyone has a valentine, but the most important thing to remember about Valentine's Day is that it's about all types of love, including self-love. 

Often people get too caught up in feeling lonely and empty when Valentine's Day comes around. However, the season of love is not just about showing others your love, but also about the methods that we practice self-love. 

“I think Valentine's Day is about showing love, rather than giving," Ebony Capone, a graduate nursing student, said. "I've always seen it as a time where you kind of reciprocate love, not only to loved ones, but just to the world."

Reciprocating love and letting others know that they are loved in return is a significant part of Valentine's Day. Flashy gifts and expensive dates are not what makes the holiday important, but instead it’s about spending time and appreciating your loved ones and yourself. 

A recent survey conducted in 2022 by the Pew Research Center found that American adults under the age of 30 are more likely to be single than any other age group. The study also said that 57% of single adults are not looking for a partner, so it’s essential to know that you are not the only one alone this Valentine's Day. 

Regardless of your relationship status, it’s always important to love yourself and do things that make you happy. Valentine's Day isn’t just for couples, but rather, it's about love in general, so it's important to keep that in mind whenever you aren’t feeling the holiday spirit. 

If you don’t have anyone to spend time with or show appreciation towards, you should take the day to treat yourself and love who you are. For Capone, self love is just as important as loving others.

“I feel like you can’t love other people if you don't love yourself first,” Capone said, “Give yourself joy, however that is shown, whether that’s through objects or just telling yourself that you love yourself."

There are many ways to love yourself, and Valentine’s Day is one of the best reminders to practice self-love. It’s good to treat yourself, maybe even by buying something that you’ve wanted for a while.

With balancing school work, a job and possibly a relationship on top of it, it can be hard to take the time to appreciate yourself. Relaxation is so important for self-care and self-love, as well as taking a break from activities or stressful work. 

Maybe try eating a good meal or watching a movie to get away from stress. Doing things that you enjoy by yourself allows you to love yourself and enjoy the time you have if you are alone. Lastly, learn something about yourself since self discovery is beneficial to understanding what makes you special and worth loving. 

This Valentine’s Day, keep in mind the true meaning of love and what Feb. 14 is really about. If you feel down or lonely just remember the importance of self-love and that you are not alone.