Column: 4 local group fitness studios students need to try

It can be challenging in a new environment to prioritize your health, especially while trying to keep up with your academics and social life. Group workout classes are a sure way to help you stick to a schedule and find the motivation to be active.

Here are four group fitness studios, all offering student discounts, that USC students who want to stay active should try.

Studio Fire

Located at 3000 Rosewood Drive, Studio Fire is a fitness group that offers a variety of different classes including yoga, dance, high-intensity interval training and barre. These are great classes to participate in if you aren’t positive about what kind of workout suits you the best.

The studio offers a wide range of class times from 5:30 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. The studio even has a wellness cafe, which offers smoothies, juices, coffees and more that you can preorder before your workout to have ready when the class is over.

Newcomers have the option to buy a two-week unlimited class pass for $55 to try all of the classes it offers, which is a cool way to introduce yourself to all of the different options. The student discount takes the price for an unlimited monthly membership from $144 to $122. 

Orangetheory Fitness

Orangetheory Fitness is a high-intensity workout that focuses on cardio and strength training. Orangetheory focuses more on heart rate-based interval training workout as opposed to traditional high-intensity interval training, which tells you when to exert more energy and when to recover. This helps members to improve their health without having to worry about pushing themselves too hard.

There are different stations in the studio where when working out, you can switch from running or walking on a treadmill to a rowing machine to using weights on the floor. Exercised performed and amount of time spent at each station depends on what class you take.

The group offers a free first class to any newcomers who want to try it out, which includes a provided heart rate monitor. Students can purchase class packs of 10, 20 or 30 classes or buy a monthly membership with varying class amounts. The student discount is $10 off unlimited monthly memberships, decreasing the unlimited monthly price from $169 to $159. Orangetheory has locations all over the world, making it a great option if you want to continue your membership while at home or traveling. The closest Orangetheory is located at 940 Harden St. in Columbia's downtown, but the organization also has several locations in surrounding towns.  

CycleBar

CycleBar, located at 4609 Forest Drive in Forest Acres, takes a different approach to working out: All exercises are performed on a stationary bike. Instructors create unique playlists for every class, which are used to set the rhythm for the rides. The upbeat music boosts your energy levels, pushing you to perform better in class.While cycling is a main part of the class, hand weights and other exercises are incorporated.

CycleBar also offers a free first class to anyone interested in joining. Like Orangetheory, a newcomer has the option to buy a class pack or monthly membership depending on what fits your schedule best. The unlimited monthly membership price drops from $159 to $139 with its student discount.

USC Group X pass at Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center

The Group X pass is definitely the most convenient and affordable option for USC students. For only $30 per semester, students can go to unlimited workout classes at Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center on campus. The classes offered include yoga, cycling, pilates, Zumba, HIIT, Aqua Fit, strength training and so many more.

There are class times all throughout the day, and the classes are all taught by fellow USC students. Unlike other fitness studios, there isn’t a fee for unregistering for classes. It’s a great way for students to adjust to different fitness classes before buying a more expensive membership.

These classes are the perfect fit for any students looking for a way to workout alongside a group of people who are just as motivated in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.