Column: Top 5 sandwich places you must try in Columbia

As the spring semester starts up, students are rushing to figure out their schedules and plan their meals accordingly. They have to find a way to balance their academics, extracurriculars and personal life all while trying to fit in quick and tasty meals. But there's no need to worry, as sandwiches are an easy solution to that problem. Here is a list of the best sandwich shops in Columbia where students can go to grab a quick meal.

No Name Deli 

No Name Deli is located on Marion Street, serving sandwiches with affordable prices and quality tastes. This deli is a must-try for any sandwich connoisseur in Columbia, as there is no option on the menu that is subpar.

The restaurant offers a selection of hot and cold sandwiches consisting of savory flavors, juicy meat, fresh vegetables and tasty condiments. The deli is well known for its Reuben sandwich, which comes with Swiss cheese on rye bread paired with sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing. The shop also has a variety of bread to choose from, including white, wheat, rye, sourdough and pumpernickel. To wash it all down, it serves freshly made raspberry and peach iced tea that pairs well with all of the sandwiches.

top-5-sandwich-illustration.png

Groucho’s Deli 

Located on Harden Street, Groucho's Deli serves quality sandwiches that come with a side of the the deli's custom 45 sauce, which maximizes the sandwiches' flavors, as well as a bag of Groucho's potato chips and a refreshing dill pickle. The restaurant’s rustic charm provides a comfortable atmosphere for customers to sit and enjoy their meal.

This deli provides a variety of dietary options, from sandwiches to salads. There is a great selection of items for vegetarian folks, as well, such as the "Caprese sandwich," which comes layered with freshly sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and basil leaves. The must-try items on this restaurant's menu include the "STP Dipper" sandwich and "My Wife’s Salad Bowl."

Beezer’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop 

Beezer’s is located on Sumter Street, across from the horseshoe. This sandwich shop is the ultimate go-to for any USC student, especially those wanting to satisfy their late-night cravings. The restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to midnight every day of the week.

Its sandwiches come stuffed with tender meat that will leave customers craving more. "The Godfather" is the most iconic sandwich on the menu, consisting of Genoa Salami, capicola ham, Virginia ham, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, oil, vinegar and herbs.

Beezer's is an affordable shop in a convenient location for USC students. 

Roly Poly

Located on Sumter Street, Roly Poly serves sandwiches that stray from the cliché. Instead of using regular sliced bread, its sandwiches are constructed as wraps that come stuffed with nutritious ingredients.

These wrapped sandwiches come in two forms, including cold-rolled or hot-pressed. The cold-rolled sandwiches consist of premium meats, vegetables and cheeses for an added freshness and crispiness. And the hot-pressed sandwiches add a crunch to the meal, with flavors that melt on your tongue.

Roly Poly's daily specialty soups complement the flavors of the sandwiches well, especially the Baja chicken enchilada.  

5th Avenue Deli 

Located on Rosewood Drive, 5th Avenue Deli sells sandwiches that are on the pricier side. But they are worth the treat. This deli's panini-pressed sandwiches come with a choice of premium rare roast beef, oven-roasted turkey breast, pork, pastrami, chicken salad or tuna salad. Some sandwiches also contain a combination of these meats.

The shop makes use of unique flavors and sauces, such as raspberry dijon, garlic cayenne mayo and horseradish mayo, which add a nice twist to the sandwiches and leave a lasting impression.