OneCarolina system changes will be seen this summer

Updates and changes improve campus technology

If the University of South Carolina's information technology system were a building, it would have a 1970s flair and be in need of replacement. 

That's how USC's Vice President for Information Technology Bill Hogue explained OneCarolina, an ongoing project that will replace the university's computer systems at an estimated total of $75 million — roughly the cost of a new building.

"Right now most of our computer systems were designed back in late 1970s and early 1980s at a time when people had a very different notion about what computing was all about it," Hogue said. "If you think about what you do every day — you can check your grades, you can register, we can pay our bills ... all of those things require computer systems."

There are currently about 45 integrated computer systems at USC that will be modernized and streamlined through the multi-year project, which will be funded in large part by the student technology fee. The rest of the project will be covered by the university's general funds.

"We've been building funding for several years to create a sufficient margin to make it through some of the lean times we've been suffering through," Hogue said. "No state appropriation is covering the costs at this point."

According to the OneCarolina website, the project will create an integrated digital community that will link USC's eight campuses. OneCarolina is currently offering training for team members to work on the development, testing and roll-out of the system.

"The project has been underway for a year and a half. A number of pieces have successfully concluded, not necessarily visible to end user," Hogue said.

One of the biggest effects of the new system is that the business offices — including the bursars, registrar and admissions offices ± are rethinking their processes to become smoother, timelier and more efficient. The goal is to put more power in the hands of the consumers, he said, and allow for more processes to take place on the web, similar to online banking systems.

Some of the changes will be noticeable to students starting this summer, Hogue said, with a new admissions system shortly followed by a new financial aid system.

Another feature, which should begin rolling out during the next academic year, is a student portal that will allow individuals to create their own customized homepages with the information, resources and services that they find most important.

"This will take several years because it really is a massive project," Hogue said. "The first part is focused on students and systems that serve students. That is where we want the biggest impact to appear most quickly."