Gates, Rucker to speak at USC commencement

Robert Gates, the nominee to replace Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense, testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee during his confirmation hearing on Tuesday, December 5, 2006, in Washington, DC. (Chuck Kennedy/MCT)

Former defense secretary Robert Gates and Hootie & the Blowfish lead singer Darius Rucker will speak at USC commencement ceremonies this semester, USC President Harris Pastides confirmed Friday.

Gates served as the secretary of defense from 2006 to 2011 under presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama. He was also the director of the Central Intelligence Agency under President George H. W. Bush, from 1991 to 1993.

Rucker, a USC graduate, formed rock band Hootie & the Blowfish in 1986 while attending the university.

Rucker has also led a successful solo country career that includes five singles that topped the Billboard charts.

His success has won him acclaim in Columbia and at USC lately. In 2010, the city dedicated a sculpture in the band’s honor, and last year, he was a guest picket when ESPN’s College GameDay broadcast live from the Horseshoe.

Last year’s slate of speakers upset many students, who described the lineup as lackluster, causing university officials to promise they’d seek more student input in the selection process. In December, USC hosted former football head coach Lou Holtz.

Commencement is scheduled this year for May 10 and 11.

Check dailygamecock.com for more updates.