In our opinion: Students need orientation options

The transition from high school to college, or from another campus to this one, can be a difficult one that calls up many more questions than it does answers. Especially if you’re unfamiliar with USC, a helping hand is beneficial to aid new students in feeling more confident about their time here.
Orientation at USC covers a wide range of things, from placement tests that let the school know how proficient a student is in math and foreign language, and getting a feel for life as a Gamecock. Orientation has been changed to span two days, with the student staying overnight in a residence hall.

The fee collected from the student is $195 for stay in the dorm, all meals, parking and the resources necessary for orientation. There is a $115 cost for parents or guests.
If the parent or guest wants to stay on campus as well, that means an extra $40 attached to their fee.

Those two days also include an emphasis on friendship building for new students, which is undoubtedly valuable and gives the students a foothold on life here at USC.

Still, there are expenses related to an overnight stay, especially for out-of-state students and their families, that could be avoided if the two-day orientation was optional.

Even if a student doesn’t have to spend the gas and hotel money driving in from out of state, their parents or guardians still have to miss at least two days of work.

There is also the option to participate in Pillars, which is a five-day program that allows students to explore life at USC in a more in-depth way. Students are able to develop leadership skills, discover hidden facets of the Columbia area and perform community service.

The one-day orientation for transfer students covers the needed information as well as time to register for classes and take placement tests. It’s also cheaper, with the fee for students being $105 and the fee for parents or guests coming in at $50.

The previous one-day orientation system used by USC didn’t provide the ample time for team building exercises that the two-day orientation provides, but the lower fee and the shorter time frame might be a better option for certain students.

Orientation is certainly an intrinsic tool to pave the way for students here at USC, and is an opportunity that should be taken advantage of in order to reap the full benefits of being a student here.

That being said, the school should give incoming students an option of choosing a one-day orientation versus making the two-day orientation mandatory.
If an incoming student wishes to have a full experience beyond the two-day orientation, or after they have undergone the one-day orientation, they would then be able to look at the Pillars option and see if it is right for them.