In Brief: Aug. 29, 2014

7 adults keeping children in poor condition arrested

Seven adults were arrested for keeping 15 children in a roach-infested double-wide trailer cluttered with trash, clothes and animal waste, WIS reported.

Deputies went to the Woodruff house upon a report from a school official about possible sexual abuse between the children. Authorities also found medicine bottles and unsecured guns around the home, in addition to an odor of urine in the house.

The children, ranging in age from infancy to 13 years old, are now in protective custody. Seven adults were charged with unlawful neglect; more charges could be pending.

One man’s ex-girlfriend and current girlfriend were living in the home, as well as one woman’s husband and ex-boyfriend, according to WIS.

Gamecock grad attends more than 600 USC games

Since he graduated from USC in 1966, Charles Edmonds has attended over 600 Gamecock football games, according to WIS, and in 48 years of watching Carolina football, he’s only missed one or two home games.

“I’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly,” he said. “This is the good, right now.”

He anticipates an even better year for USC than last year and believes that this year’s players will act more like a team.

But of all the games he’s seen, Edmonds’ favorite was against Clemson in 1984, when USC came back to beat Clemson 22-21.

Edmonds said he will attend USC football games until he is “unable to go.”

“I sit kind of above where the Gamecocks come out of the tunnel,” Edmonds said. “I say, Go Cocks!”

Two male students relocated after entering girls’ rooms

According to a Columbia Hall resident mentor, female students from six different dorm rooms reported two male students entering their rooms early Thursday morning, The State reported.

USC decided the evidence supports that the men acted out of “mischievousness, not maliciousness.”

“That does not, however, forgive the actions of these two young men,” Wes Hickman, USC director of communications, said. “They have been relocated to an all-male dorm and have been receptive to instruction regarding appropriate behavior.”

One female victim said that she awoke around 3:15 a.m. and noticed a man standing close to her face.

He didn’t touch her, but he asked if she was joining a sorority and whether she wanted to go to back to his room.

Hickman advised students to keep their rooms locked to help avoid future incidents.