In brief: Sept. 24

Man arrested for purchasing illegal firearms

A Columbia man was sentenced Tuesday to 18 months in a federal prison after buying illegal firearms, The State reported.

The man admitted to purchasing the weapons for an unknown felon, knowing that it was illegal for the felon to be in possession of the guns, according to U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles.

Marquel Davon Foster, 23, said he was paid to buy six guns from a New Jersey man that he met in a gun store. 

Police traced the guns back to Foster after raiding the felon's house on a drug warrant. Foster admitted that he lied on his firearms purchasing forms to buy guns for a man whose name he did not know; he only knew him by a nickname.

Foster bought six guns during a one-month span including .380, .45 and .40 caliber pistols, a .357 revolver and two 9mm pistols. 

Along with his sentence, he will be on three years probation.

Arrest made in Orangeburg county murder

An arrest has been made in the case involving the murder of an Orangeburg man, WIS reported.

Jeffrey Keezel, 21, was arrested Tuesday morning after a traffic stop. He was served warrants for armed robbery, murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

The murder, which occurred Sept. 17, involved 30-year-old Ricardo Sprinkle. According to investigators, Sprinkle was found in his vehicle early that morning parked outside of the Econo Lodge Inn and Suites on Calhoun Drive in Orangeburg. 

Authorities believe that Sprinkle and Keezel knew each other and they are not sure if Sprinkle was killed in his car or in another location.  

Man sets woman on fire, sentenced to eight years

A man who set a woman on fire was sentenced to eight years in prison, WLTX reported.  

Terrance Glenn was convicted on a charge of assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. He was originally sentenced to 15 years in prison, but the judge knocked the punishment down to eight years.  

The incident, which occurred in late 2013, said that Glenn threw rubbing alcohol on the victim then proceeded to set her on fire. 

The woman received first and second-degree burns on her upper body, including her neck, chest and both arms.