Column: Students must take time for emotional health

Welcome to October, the month in which State Fair, Homecoming, Fall Break and Halloween all reside. The fun is only as limited as an individual’s mental capacity for fun, which, with all the stress of the second half of the semester, is actually pretty limited.

Your need for sleep is boundless. Your throat is raw, your lips are dry and cracked with dehydration, your eyes burn and to say your temper is shortened is an understatement. Stress is gripping beneath your eyes and dragging your entire face toward the ground.

You forgot your diet and Chick-fil-A wrappers litter the floor of your car. And as for the floor in your room, it is but a distant memory. We aren’t talking about the gym, because then it just gets depressing.

This is a mid-semester slump, cold and allergy season, homesickness highpoint, need some time away from your roommates and friends before you get homicidal, and generally way too stressful part of the year. How do we survive when dropping out and becoming a ditch digger or exotic dancer seems so much easier?

Go. Have. Some. Fun.

Whether it is an afternoon dedicated to Disney films and pizza, a night out on the town or eating your weight in fried food at the State Fair and then choosing the craziest, most jarring ride (because you don’t make good choices), get out of the library, your apartment, this campus and let go.

A day of fun a week may not always be feasible, but in times like these it is necessary for mental well-being, which can be the determining factor in survival.

This doesn’t have to be anything in particular. If you think a straight day of sleep and Netflix and snacks in bed is fun, go for it. If you’re a better person than I am, you might find joy in a nice long run or a mountain climbing day trip. Go you.

The best way to supplement these days of enjoyment that may be out of reach due to your schedule or budget is to insert little nuggets of fun into every part of your day.

Dance, sing, get a cookie from Great American Cookies. Go on Spotify and listen to "The Muppet Movie" soundtrack (I realize that this might be a little me-specific, but don’t knock it until you try it).

We are dedicated to this idea that if we break from our responsibilities, even for a moment, we are guilty of some great evil. However, in order to be the most you can be for your commitments, you must prioritize self-care.