40 years and still coming back for Moore

The International Business (IB) program at the Darla Moore School of Business is celebrating its 40th anniversary this Thursday through Saturday by inviting its alumni to “Come back for Moore.”

The school is celebrating by looking toward the future. Keynote speeches will be made on Friday by Devin Fidler, Research Director at Technology Horizons; Donna Fenn, author of "Upstarts! How GenY Entrepreneurs are Rocking the World of Business" and contributing editor at Inc.com; and David T. Seaton, CEO of Fluor Corporation.

These panels will highlight research from the Moore School, and will be moderated by former Moore School Dean and current IB professor Hildy Teegen.

"I would like to see more of our students engaged in internships with S.C. firms as they work to expand their international reach," Teegen said when asked about changes she'd like to see in the Moore School IB program. "Our underlying principle is that we give all of our IB students the tools to be successful IB leaders regardless of the location or industry where they find themselves through deep, rich experience, leading-edge curriculum and support from a devoted, successful network of alumni practitioners and corporate partners throughout the world who bring relevant insights into our education.”

The undergraduate IB program at the Darla Moore School of Business has been ranked first in the nation for sixteen consecutive years by U.S. News and World Report. The graduate IB program also received the top ranking from U.S. News this year.

“I'd also be delighted to see us expanding the areas of country/regional areas of specialization and language training, particularly given the increased importance of many emerging markets for global business,” Teegen said.

The Moore School of Business IB program already has formal connections with multiple international universities, and the program's strategic plan includes a goal to expand the school to 50 partnerships by 2015.

More than 4,000 alumni of the graduate IB program now hold business leadership positions around the world in almost every industry. The IB program has given over 600 undergraduate degrees and enrolls 250 undergraduate students.

The celebration of the 40th anniversary will conclude on Saturday with a special MyCarolina Homecoming Tailgate, the USC football game against Furman and reunion dinners for the IB alumni.