Column: Students have reason to be thankful

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and Christmas follows close behind. Whether you are an out-of-state student or an in-state student, you’re likely preparing to go home for a few days. The rush and pressure of college has been hitting everyone, and going home is a great escape. Everyone starts thinking about what they’re thankful for, and it’s easier said than done. The typical response is family, friends and good health. Those are wonderful things to appreciate, but life gives us so much more to remember. Not everyone has to be thankful for all the same things, and that’s what makes the holidays so special to each individual.

Simply being alive is a great reason to smile. I’m a strong believer that things don’t happen for a reason, they happen for a purpose. Every breathing person has a purpose for being here. You may not be aware of yours — I’m not aware of mine — but it’s there. The college life can put so much pressure and stress on people that thoughts can get pushed to the backburner, but it’s important to remind yourself of them. You’re alive; other people aren’t. You were given the chance to walk this earth another day. Don’t waste it on being down on yourself. Find your purpose and pursue it.

Let’s not forget that we live in a country where we have freedom. There are soldiers deployed and fighting for our rights and we can’t forget them during the holiday season. It’s easy to forget that we have the freedom of speech and religion, but we do. Sometimes it seems like people talk just to hear themselves, but we have the ability to say what we want. Other countries have citizens who don’t have rights or are under a dictator’s rule. It’s easy to forget how easy we Americans have life because it’s just how we live.

Take a minute to just think about all you have to offer and what you have in life. Every thought that pops into your head is something to be thankful for. During the holidays is the typical time to have thankful thoughts, but it doesn’t hurt to remind yourself when you’re feeling a little blue. For everyone traveling home for Thanksgiving, have wonderful time. Create your own reasons to be thankful this holiday season. Observe the little things that always seem to escape your mind and be thankful for those as well.