Riff Raff draws unique, outrageous crowd to Music Farm

The audience got progressively more anxious as DJ after DJ took the stage Thursday night waiting for Riff Raff to start his performance.

"Riff Raff! Riff Raff! Riff Raff!"

The chants seemed to go on from the time Music Farm's doors opened until JODY HiGHROLLER himself stepped onto the stage at then, the atmosphere was out of control — drunk, sweaty, screaming fans were ready to throw themselves on the stage to get closer to the one-of-a-kind performer.

It seems as though most people don’t attend concerts like this one for the music, but regardless of Riff Raffs' abilities as a rapper, he is unquestionably a talented performer. Listeners were eager to dance the night away in the company of this quickly growing star. His attitude towards his fans was full of nothing but love, even if it did take him two hours to get on stage.

JODY HiGHROLLER, as he calls himself on Twitter, is an entertainer to say the least. This newly recognized hip-hop star is quite a character, and even photographs don’t do his bizarre style justice. Wearing sagging shorts emblazoned with the phrase “Flight Club,” Raff swaggered on stage in a cutoff T-shirt, glorifying his countless tattoos.

Strangest of all was his signature two-braid hairstyle — fans who arrived early enough and were willing to pay a pretty penny could get their own locks twisted by Riff Raff’s personal stylist.

The stage was littered with various entourage members, including several who appeared to be just background decoration, swaying slightly to the music and holding styrofoam cups of mystery liquid. The “don’t care” attitude of all the performers, Riff Raff included, added substantially to the already-high levels of absurdity and sketchiness.

Overall, the show was not an experience to be missed. Regardless of listeners’ music tastes, the night was a hit. Riff played several hits off his new album, “Neon Icon,” including “Kokayne,” “How to Be the Man” and, of course, “Tip Toe Wing in My Jawwdinz,” all of which have ridiculous and often profane lyrics — precisely why they get listeners so hyped up.

Crowds just want catchy tunes to dance to. The repetition and lack of creativity isn’t irrelevant — it’s exactly what they’re looking for.