Gamecock softball leaves runners on base losing against UCF

It was a rough home opener for the South Carolina Gamecocks, as they fell to the Golden Knights from UCF, 4-1, putting their record at 4-2 on the season.

Senior pitcher Julie Sarratt was credited with the loss, and falls to 2-2 on the season. She finished the game pitching 2.2 innings, and recorded three strikeouts.

After an abysmal first inning, in which the Gamecocks let up four runs and five consecutive hits to the first five batters, they held UCF scoreless for the remainder of the game, but only managed to score one run courtesy of an RBI fielder’s choice from junior outfielder Alaynie Page in the sixth inning.

South Carolina was only able to muster up five hits today, and loaded up the bases on three different occasions, but was only able to score one run. South Carolina left 12 runners on base, and struck out 11 times, four of those from looking.

Gamecock hits were recorded from Page, senior outfielder Kristen Struett, junior third-baseman Jordan Bizzell and freshman shortstop Krystan White.

UCF’s starter junior pitcher Shelby Turnier who was ranked in the top 15 in the NCAA in ERA and strikeouts per seven innings last season, moved her record to 3-0 by tossing a complete game and striking out 11 South Carolina batters, while also giving up five hits and six walks, as the Golden Knights remain undefeated on the season at 5-0.

A few of the only bright spots for the Gamecocks came from White who went 2-2 in her first two at-bats as a Gamecock, and from sophomore pitcher Nickie Blue who pitched a strong 4.1 innings, giving up only one hit, a walk and striking out three.

UCF’s third basemen Farrah Sullivan was the only Golden Knight today who recorded multiple hits, as she batted 2-3 from the plate. UCF travels down to Florida this weekend as they participate in the NTC Spring Games.

For South Carolina, they host the Gamecock Invitational this upcoming weekend at Carolina Softball Stadium and Beckham Field on Friday at 3 p.m. vs. Presbyterian. It continues Saturday vs. the Tar Heels of North Carolina at 3 p.m. and finishes up against Appalachian State and College of Charleston at 12:30 and 3 p.m.