In Brief: March 2, 2015

Obama to arrive in Columbia Friday

For the first time since 2008, President Barack Obama will come to South Carolina to visit Benedict College in Columbia, according to The State. His last visit was after he won the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary in January 2008.

“I thank President David Swinton and the Benedict College family for hosting President Obama’s event with students and youth leaders,” said Rep. Jim Clyburn, D-S.C.,  who worked to bring Obama back to the state. Gov. Nikki Haley has also extended her welcome to the president as Columbia prepares for his arrival Friday.

Obama will visit to attend a youth event on Friday at Benedict College, according to the White House. More information about his visit will be released as the week progresses.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Police searching for man who threw gun, pushed victim through door

Police in Myrtle Beach are searching for a man who allegedly threw a gun at a victim and then pushed him through a glass door, according to The State. The victim told his former neighbor to stop arguing with a woman in a car.

The suspect grabbed a gun from the car and threw it at the victim, hitting him in the left shoulder and knocking him down, according to the statement made by the victim. After, the victim said the suspect came onto his porch and pushed him through a glass door, causing it to shatter.

A witness at the scene saw the suspect push the victim and could identify the suspect, who was a former friend of both the witness and the victim.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Teen charged with attempted murder after minivan joy ride

Three Richland County teens were arrested after the minivan they were driving almost hit a deputy, according to WIS-TV. When the deputy approached the parked van, the driver accelerated toward the deputy. The deputy drew his service weapon, prompting the driver to stop the van. 

Isaac Havens, the 18-year-old driver, was charged with attempted murder, an open container violation and possession of marijuana. He was then transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center. Melanie Youngblood, 19, and the 16-year-old who were in the car were also charged with possession of marijuana.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor