Amy Woodell Bardi on progressive brand Clothed in Hope

Amy Woodell Bardi, a 2012 finalist for USC Woman of the Year and winner of the Outstanding Service Award from the school of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management, spoke about her brand, Clothed in Hope, which aims to prevent poverty and promote vocational training for struggling women in Zambia last Friday.

Founding her own brand in Zambia changed the course of Bardi's life and has been exponentially rewarding. Before her service trip to Africa, Bardi had never understood the vast differences in poverty-stricken and privileged lives. The trip enlightened Bardi about the struggles of those in Zambia and led her to focus on the population that held the most hope for the country's progress: the women. 

Bardi stressed that Clothed in Hope’s most important tool is women's empowerment. The brand's success was quicker than Bardi ever expected. The women go through a year of training during which they practice with sewing machines, take tests and quizzes and write notes on creating clothes and business culture.

Working with the women in Clothed in Hope was very difficult at first because it is a custom in Zambian culture for women to be extra cautious of outsiders, or those who pose a potential threat. Bardi tried to relate to and understand these women’s struggles by opening up her door and treating the women as her equals, not her project. After a hard breakup in college, Bardi’s heartbreak turned into inspiration to show women that worth should not depend on your circumstances.

“To know loneliness is the same whether you’re in suburban America or you’re in a slum in Africa,” Bardi said.

Working internationally was additionally challenging because of Bardi's attachment to American culture and government.

“You never will be ready," Bardi said. "And you never will know what you need to learn until you get out there.”

However, Bardi learned well on the job. After the first nine women graduated the program in 2014, those women then became staff members that multiplied the reach of Clothed in Hope. After each class' graduation, the women become teachers and pass their knowledge on to new women trapped in slums.

Every graduation is a reminder that Clothed in Hope is changing lives. Clothed In Hope has since helped teach more than 70 women. The organization is also successfully issuing micro-loans to the women, in order to help them start their own businesses. Bardi wants to share the great sense of ownership she feels and enjoys watching the direct benefits of her organization come to life.

"Without USC, Clothed in Hope would not be able to operate at the capacity that it does now," Bardi said.

She said it's great to come back and has a plethora of gratitude for all the professors who helped her. Bardi feels grateful that retail and fashion merchandising instructor Sallie Boggs encouraged her throughout her journey. She's also thankful for HRSM professor Kathy Smiling and her class that raised $10,000 for Clothed in Hope’s launch.

“Every professor has helped in one way or another,” Bardi said.

Bardi said her major in retail and minor in public relations gave her beneficial communication strategies and taught her that business skills are universal. She’s taught the graduates of Clothed in Hope international merchandising, accounting and retail buying. Bardi is so thankful that she got the opportunity to come to USC and did not take her education for granted.

"Don't be afraid to take the first step," Bardi said. “There’s a greater risk in not stepping out to try what you want to do because you might always be wondering 'What if?'”