Staley adds UVA transfer Imovbioh to program

South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley announced on Monday via her twitter account that former Virginia center Sarah Imovbioh will play her final year of college basketball as a Gamecock this upcoming season. 

A native of Abuja, Nigeria, Imovbioh arrived to Virginia as a freshman in 2011, but was forced to sit out her first season due to an NCAA law involving a gap in her high school enrollment in Nigeria. 

However, Imovbioh excelled in the following three seasons as she led the ACC in field goal percentage in 2012-2013 (59.1), while also leading the conference in rebounding (10.8 per game) last year. 

According to The State's David Cloninger, Imovbioh will graduate from Virginia in May. 

By adding Imovbioh to her team, Staley has added some depth and talent at a position of need for the Gamecocks. 

"Sarah is a true gift to our program," Staley said. "She's a proven winner on and off the court. I can't wait for our university, Gamecock Nation and our community to see what a wonderful addition to our family she is."

Now with former post players Aleighsa Welch and Elem Ibiam gone, South Carolina returns only three post players from last season: center Alaina Coates, guard/forward A'ja Wilson and center Jatarie White. 

During her senior season, Imovbioh became just the 30th player in Virginia history to score 1,000 points and she finished her time as Cavalier having recorded the 9th most rebounds in program history.