Unusual classes offered during Fall 2015 semester

With class registration for Fall 2015 already upon us, you may be searching for that last-minute three-credit-hour class to complete your perfect schedule. Look no further, because The Daily Gamecock has complied a list of some of the more unusual classes during the Fall 2015 semester.

SCHC 330: Psychology of the Zombie Apocalypse

This class might just eat your brains. The Psychology of the Zombie Apocalypse, taught by Neil Levens, combines the zombie phenomenon with a classical social psychology class to create a bone chilling blend. Levens’ class offers a unique look at the zombie apocalypse by examining the biology and neuroscience of zombies and human’s psychological reactions to disasters. The course can count toward either SocBehavSci or GSS credit but is offered strictly to honors students for the Fall 2015 semester.

MUSC 113: Special Topics in Popular Music

During the Fall 2015 semester, MUSC 113 will offer a unique approach to special topics in popular music: History of Rock Music. Worth three credit hours, the class will be taught by Jeremy Polley of the Music Department. It will investigate the function of popular music in contemporary society, but more importantly, the class will delve into the history of such illustrious bands as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Metallica to learn how rock music has evolved over time. The class can serve as an AIU Aesthetic/Interpretive credits. 

FILM 511-002 — Stardom, Celebrity and Performance 

Fame and fortune are just a class away.  Stardom, Celebrity and Performance, taught by professor Kelly Wolf, will offer students an opportunity to explore the world of performers as workers and cultural icons. It combines the idea of stardom with the “phenomenon of both production and consumption that operates both onscreen and off,” according to the course’s online description. The course also explores the roles that industry economics, technological development and socio-cultural change have played in the birth of stars and performers.

HPEB 627: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Health 

Taught by Emily S. Mann, HPEB 627 will offer students the chance to explore the health status and concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex individuals in a classroom setting. The course will investigate the terminology and history of the LGBT populations as well as delving deeper into health care. It will also examine the demographics of LGBT populations and what health disparities that population faces. Offered to honors students, the course functions as a SocBehavSci and MedHealthSci credit.

PEDU 101 — Self-Defense for Women 

The Self-Defense for Women class gives students a chance to get physical while learning the proper ways to defend themselves. The class defines sexual assault, rape and harassment and gives students the skills to recognize the context when violence might occur. Women enrolled in the class will learn basic counter-attack sequences, hand, elbow and knee strikes and kicking techniques. The class also teaches a variety of non-physical self-defense options.