In Brief: June 24, 2015

Public viewing of late Sen. Pinckney in Statehouse on Wednesday

A public viewing will be held for the late Senator Clementa Pinckney on Wednesday in the South Carolina Statehouse, according to WLTX. Pinckney will be delivered by horse-drawn caisson from Leevy's funeral home and is expected to arrive at the Statehouse around 12:30 p.m.

The senator's casket will be taken to the rotunda where the viewing is planned to begin at 1 p.m. and last until 5 p.m.

No photography or videotaping will be allowed at the viewing, and people are also encouraged to leave backpacks, electronics and anything sensitive to metal detectors in their vehicles for the viewing.

Senator Pinckney's funeral is scheduled for June 26 at 11 a.m., at the TD Arena at the College of Charleston, 301 Meeting Street, Charleston.

Those wishing to attend can begin lining up at 9 a.m.

—James Stewart, News Editor

SCE&G donates $100,000 to Mother Emmanuel AME Church

On Tuesday, SCE&G announced that it had donated $100,000 to the Mother Emmanuel AME Church, according to WIS.

The donation was made in order to help aid the healing process of those affected by last Wednesday's shooting which claimed nine lives.

In addition to the initial $100,000, SCANA also said it would match its employee donations dollar-for-dollar.

“SCANA and SCE&G employees grieve for our neighbors impacted by the tragic events at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston," said Kevin Marsh, chairman and CEO of SCANA. “In an effort to give back to those who have given so much, SCE&G is pleased to contribute $100,000 to promote healing, lift spirits and contribute to the role this historic congregation will continue to play in South Carolina's future."

—James Stewart, News Editor

Mississippi flag next on petitioners call for removal of Confederate symbolism

Following the controversy around the Confederate battle flag in front of the South Carolina Statehouse this week, petitioners have begun to rally to remove a similar symbol found on the Mississippi state flag, according to WLTX.

A petition on moveon.org has called for the removal of the Confederate symbol from the corner of the state flag, which is found prominently on all government buildings throughout Mississippi.

As of Monday, the petition had received 2,000 signatures.

Jennifer Gunter, originally from Jackson, Mississippi, who is pursuing a doctorate in American History at the University of South Carolina, started the petition Saturday.

—James Stewart, News Editor