In Brief: July 22, 2015

Flags flying at half-staff throughout SC to honor Chattanooga military victims

The American and South Carolina flags will remain at half-staff on government buildings until Saturday, in order to honor the victims of the shooting in Chattanooga, Tennessee, last week, according to WLTX.

The order, which came from President Obama, is in response to the deaths of four Marines and one Navy sailor who were killed five days ago.

Gov. Haley has asked the public to pray for the families of the "heroes we lost in Chattanooga."

—James Stewart, News Editor

No prison time dealt to defendants in SC State corruption case

Four men have avoided prison sentences for their alleged involvement in the kickback scheme that brought the corruption at SC State to light, according to WIS.

Lance Wright, Tony Williams and Phillip Mims were each sentenced to three months in a halfway house followed by three years probation in a federal court on Tuesday.

The former SC State chief of police, Michael Bartley, was sentenced to three years probation and 100 hours community service.

A fifth defendant, Florida businessman Richard Zahn, has yet to be sentenced.

—James Stewart, News Editor

Lindsey Graham to change phone number following its revelation by Donald Trump

Senator Lindsey Graham is changing his cell phone number after GOP candidate rival Donald Trump shared it publicly during a speech in Bluffton, according to The State.

Trump's sharing of the phone number came in response to Graham referring to Trump as a "jackass" in several of his interviews.

As a side effect of the sharing of his number, it seems as though Senator Graham will be joining the rest of 2015 by finally purchasing a smartphone to replace his current flip phone.

Graham's aversion to technology is not a new one. In March, he commented that he had never once sent an email, during a discussion about Hillary Clinton's use of a private email during her tenure as Secretary of State.

—James Stewart, News Editor