In Brief: July 8, 2015

National titles not on roster for SEC Network's USC 'Takeover' day

The Gamecock's two most recent College World Series championships are not planned in the lineup on Thursday, during the 24-hour block that The Gamecocks will "take over" the SEC Network's programming.

An ESPN statement further explained that there was a catch to the network devoting a whole day of coverage to a school — the exclusive rights to the game held by ESPN.

"NCAA championships were unavailable for schools to air this year during their Takeover day,” ESPN said in the statement. “We are evaluating options to air [championship] games in future years should a school want to include.”

President Pastides and USC Athletics Director Ray Tanner will be hosting the broadcast.

Games are being cut to fit into two-hour windows and a schedule will be released on Tuesday.

—James Stewart, News Editor

Sumter County parents arrested after evicting daughter over Pop Tart

A Sumter County couple was arrested last Friday after sheriff's deputies learned that the parents were allegedly forcing their daughter to live in a tent in the woods.

The daughter, 14, is believed to have been forced to live almost a quarter-mile into the woods behind her parent's property after she ate a Pop Tart without permission.

Both James Allen Driggers, 33, and Crystal Lynn Driggers, 36, have been charged with counts of unlawful neglect of a child.

Authorities say that the teen was barred from her home for two days with the parents' intentions of having her live in a tent and was provided a roll of toilet paper, a whistle, a flashlight and a watch.

—James Stewart, News Editor

Starbucks increases sales prices beginning this week

Starbucks announced it would be increasing its prices on Tuesday, according to the Associated Press.

The price hike will increase the cost of the affected products by 5 to 20 cents.

The price of a small and large brewed coffee will be increased by 10 cents in most areas, which would bring the price of a large coffee up to $2.45.

Last year, Starbucks also increased their prices across the country.

—James Stewart, News Editor