Men's soccer follow up Friday's win with a game against Georgia Southern

On Monday, the Gamecocks take on the Georgia Southern team that dropped their opener to Stetson last Friday with a score of 3-1. 

The Bears had plenty of chances in the final 10 minutes to clench the win, but Stetson scored not one, but two goals in the 85th minute, ending any hope of a Bears win.The Eagles seemed to have the game in their hands approaching the final minutes, having plenty of chances in the second half to score the winner. Junior midfielder Aidan Reising recorded three shots with two of them on target. His production kept Georgia Southern in the game, but it wasn’t enough to bring a W. Senior Eagle forward Eric Dinka was the sole scorer for Georgia Southern, striking a 19-yarder off a pass from junior Jeremy Rector.

Last Friday, The Gamecocks managed to hold off a late Mercer rally to go 1-0 on the year. Freshman Ben Davidson had a phenomenal outing. He scored off a free kick from right outside the box, and his defensive positioning helped limit a strong Mercer attack.Senior Jeffrey Torda scored the second and final goal for the Gamecocks off a cross from junior Danny Deakin. Even though the Bears almost completed the comeback off a 82nd minute goal, the Gamecocks ended the game 2-1.

Monday’s game is 7 p.m. at Stone Stadium.