In-Brief: 11/10/15

University of Missouri president resigns amid protests over racial tension

The Washington Post reports that University of Missouri president Tim Wolfe resigned Monday over the university’s handling of racially charged incidents in and around campus. The resignation comes after the school made headlines throughout the last week over protests of Wolfe’s administration. One student declared a hunger strike, multiple faculty members canceled classes, and the Missouri Student Association called for Wolfe’s resignation in an open letter. Additionally, a number of African American members of the school’s football team announced they would refuse to practice and play until Wolfe resigned. Later in the afternoon the school's chancellor, R. Bowen Loftin, announced that he will transition out of the role at the end of the year.

—Compiled by Mary Ramsey, Assistant News Editor

Shooting in Jordan kills 2 Americans

Reuters reports that two U.S. government contractors were killed by a Jordanian police officer in a shooting at the King Abdullah Training Center near Amman that also killed a South African trainer and a Jordanian translator. Five others, four Jordanian and one Lebanese, were wounded in the attack.The shooting occurred on the 10th anniversary of the most deadly terrorist attack in Jordanian history in which al-Qaida suicide bombers killed 57 in a luxury hotel in Amman.

City Council to consider funding for canal repair

The Columbia City Council will vote Tuesday to approve $7 million in funding to five companies via nine contracts for Columbia Canal repairs, The State reported. The canal suffered extensive damage over the course of last month’s historic flooding. The repairs include a new boulder dam as well as improvements to the flow to the city’s water treatment plants. Funds are also included for other repairs that may arise during the projects. The Council will also vote Tuesday night on lessening the restrictions on building permits for those still working to repair their homes and businesses after the floods.