Student Health Center to undergo major expansion

<p>The new Student Health Services building will be 68,000 square feet and expand a variety of services.</p>
The new Student Health Services building will be 68,000 square feet and expand a variety of services.

Construction has begun on a major expansion of the Thomson Student Health Center. The project includes the erection of a brand new 68,000 square-foot building next to the existing health center behind Russell House.

According to USC’s Associate Director of Public Relations, Jeff Stensland, the health center upgrade “promises to offer students enhanced health and wellness services in one centralized campus location.” 

“The facility will incorporate modern design elements and state-of-the-art technology to deliver a comfortable and holistic care experience to students,” Stensland said in a press release.

The building is expected to be complete by the summer of 2017. It will cause some changes to pedestrian and car traffic in the area during the construction and after its completion. The Bull Street parking garage entrance will be closer to the intersection of Bull and Devine Streets, and the parking area outside of Callcott Social Science Center will remain closed during the time of construction.

First-year business student Cole Baxter is neutral on the inconveniences because he doesn't use the parking areas that will be affected. 

“I like that the university is still striving to make improvements to the quality of services they provide to us,” he said.

The visions of the expansion are ones of optimism, as it will serve as an enrichment of the myriad of provided health services. The center will provide expanded physical therapy, lab and x-ray services and counseling, as well as eye care services.

Meg Southern, assistant principal of the International House at Maxcy College, is particularly excited about the project.

“I’m excited that the new health center will make their services available to a larger population,” she said. “It represents another fantastic collaboration between many different offices on campus and showcases how well they prioritize the needs of the students.”