Florida stuns South Carolina with late rally

In a thrilling matchup between No. 1 Florida and No. 3 South Carolina, the Gamecocks suffered a heartbreaking 5-4 defeat when they surrendered a ninth inning lead to the Gators. Florida trailed for nearly the whole game after falling behind in the first, but a pair of home runs off of South Carolina closer Josh Reagan accelerated a late rally and they claimed the series opener. 

While the Gamecocks have found other ways to manufacture offensive production, power has been fairly absent from their game lately. Over their previous 12-game stretch leading up this weekend's series with Florida, South Carolina has just hit two home runs. They matched that total in the series opener. 

Left fielder Alex Destino propelled the Gamecocks to a fast start with a two-run home run in the first inning. The home run ball just barely cleared the fence in the right field corner, but it was good enough for his fifth of the season. 

Catcher Chris Cullen would extend South Carolina's lead to 3-0 with his first collegiate home run in the sixth inning. 

South Carolina's ace Clarke Schmidt cruised in his first five innings of work, holding one of the nation's most potent offenses to just one hit during that span. Early on, Schmidt harnessed a wipeout slider to keep Florida off balance. The right-hander demonstrated consistent fastball command and only allowed two walks in his outing. 

After inducing two quick groundouts to start the sixth inning, Florida second baseman Deacon Liput reached on an error by first baseman L.T. Tolbert. The miscue would come back to haunt South Carolina, for the next batter, Florida's designated hitter JJ Schwarz, deposited a misplaced slider from Schmidt well over left field wall. Schwarz launched 18 home runs as a freshman last season and while he hasn't been slugging at quite the same rate this year, he remains one of the most dangerous hitters in the country. 

South Carolina rallied back in the bottom half of the sixth, starting with a leadoff double from third baseman Jonah Bride. Cullen continued his career night by knocking a double down the third base line into left field to score Bride. The double marked his third extra base hit of the game. 

Florida chased Schmidt in the seventh when an RBI bloop single from pinch hitter Jeremy Vasquez cut South Carolina's lead to 4-3. Schmidt worked 6 1/3 innings and allowed three runs, one earned, while holding Florida to five hits. He struck out six batters. Tyler Johnson came on two record two critical outs with a pair of inherited runners from Schmidt. 

Reagan entered the top of the ninth looking to secure his 12th save of the season, but a pair of solo home runs from third baseman Jonathan India and pinch hitter Nick Horvath enabled Florida to take their first lead of the game. Reagan has been one of the elite closers in the country this season, although he has been plagued at times by the solo home run. Of the five runs he has allowed this year, all five have come via the solo home run.

"Well it is a very difficult loss." Coach Chad Holbrook stated on the disappointing loss. "The kids played hard. We made a couple of mistakes there that opened the door for them — didn't locate a couple of pitches, didn't make a defensive play. Great teams make you pay when you don't execute." 

On his decision to bring in Reagan despite Tyler Johnson's success in the previous two innings, Holbrook explained, "What went into it was the numbers and that Reagan's been our guy. The splits —  from a batting average standpoint where we were in the order — say go to a left-hander. So I played the numbers. In baseball sometimes you play the numbers and it works, sometimes it didn't. It didn't work tonight." 

It is hard to fault Holbrook given Reagan's track record this season. 

The Gamecocks will look to rebound against the Gators on April 30, despite the challenge of Florida's flame-throwing southpaw A.J. Puk.