Football position preview: Breaking down offensive powerhouses

<p>Garnet & Black Spring Game</p>
Garnet & Black Spring Game

Offensive weapons were hard to come by for the South Carolina football team in 2015, and there is a cloud of uncertainty at the skill positions yet again this season. No receiver returns for 2016 with more than 12 receptions, while the leading returner in terms of rushing yardage is quarterback Lorenzo Nunez, who is not expected to be used under center much in 2016. There will be plenty of new faces in prominent roles in the Gamecock offense this fall, so let's get to know a little more about some of the players tasked with rejuvenating one of the SEC's worst offenses.

David Williams: Most fans probably know who Williams is by now as the redshirt junior has spent the last two seasons backing up Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds. Williams has averaged 4.2 yards per carry over those two seasons, but that is largely benefited from his 5.7 clip in the 2014 season.

The Philadelphia native is the favorite to receive a lion's share of the carries at the beginning of the season, but it's hard to know that Williams can really be the guy, considering his role over the past two years, especially with poor efficiency in 2015. However, Williams was ranked in the ESPN 150 out of high school, so the potential is there. To win over South Carolina fans, Williams has to prove that he can be a consistent force in the backfield.

A.J. Turner: Here's a guy who may be flying under the radar in the backfield battle. Turner redshirted in 2015 after being rated the nation's 80th best running back in his class, but he made his presence felt in the spring game, looking dynamic with the ball in his hands. 

Turner is going to be a dark horse in the competition for reps, particularly with a talented freshman coming in. However, the 5-foot-10, 186-pound back has a lot of speed, which should certainly keep him in the hunt.

Rico Dowdle: Speaking of that talented freshman, let's take a look at Dowdle. Hailing from Gaffney, South Carolina, Dowdle scored 63 touchdowns during his senior year, but he did not receive offers from many of the nation's top programs. The South Carolina offer came in December, and Dowdle jumped at the chance to play for his local favorite.

Dowdle just isn't the typical true freshman. He has incredible agility, and he can impact the offense in a variety of ways. Don't be surprised if you see Dowdle lining up in the slot as well as the backfield. He could see some wildcat action as well, considering he played some quarterback in high school.

Deebo Samuel: With little depth in 2015, Gamecock fans expected Samuel to emerge as a solid second option alongside Pharoh Cooper. That didn't quite work out. Injuries kept Samuel out of seven games that ended up limiting him to 161 yards on just 12 receptions — 104 of those yards, in addition to his sole score, came in the season finale against Clemson.

Samuel's speed makes him a big play waiting to happen, but he must stay healthy and prove that the Clemson game wasn't a fluke. The coaching staff will expect him to be the guy from day one, so he needs to step up and prove himself worthy of the majority of the targets.

Bryan Edwards: Edwards is another talented freshman expected to make a significant contribution to the offense right away. A four-star recruit, Edwards decommitted from South Carolina after Steve Spurrier retired, but Will Muschamp made the in-state talent his top priority after getting hired, and he was able to bring Edwards back. Listed at 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, Edwards came into the spring with plenty of hype after enrolling early, and he gave fans plenty to cheer about during the spring game by catching two touchdowns.

With no proven talent at the position, Edwards has the opportunity to really take over the spotlight on the outside for the Gamecocks. His height makes him an option in the red zone, as Samuel is 3 inches shorter. Plenty of people have put high expectations onto what Edwards can do right away for South Carolina, and for the passing offense to take a big step forward, he will certainly need to perform.

Terry Googer: As a redshirt freshman in 2015, Googer played in the first 11 games of the season, but he only recorded five catches. His 6-foot-4 lanky frame could help the Gamecocks in the red zone, and he's gained experience in his last two seasons, though a new coaching staff (and thus a new offensive system) puts everyone on a somewhat level playing field.

Googer was rated a four-star prospect during his recruitment, and fans are still waiting for him to play like it. It could be a breakout year for the sophomore with no established stars at the receiver position.

Javon Charleston: Charleston redshirted his first year in Columbia in 2015, but don't expect the former walk-on to remain unknown. As of now, there isn't much public information about the Illinois native, but he did impress the coaching staff with a solid spring, particularly when he racked up 54 yards in the first quarter of the spring game.

Charleston is listed behind Edwards as a second-teamer on the preseason depth chart, but with plenty of youth at the position, expect to see him get some chances early in the season.

Jamari Smith: Smith has spent time on offense, defense and special teams during his college career, but he's never really settled into a position. The new coaching staff hopes he can find a home in the slot, but Smith will likely play a variety of roles on the offense. As a true freshman in 2013, Smith showcased his skills against Coastal Carolina, running for 103 yards and a touchdown in his only significant college action.

The redshirt junior has the athleticism and size to play in the slot, which will allow Samuel to stay on the outside, where he belongs. Smith won't be able to replace Cooper's production on the inside, but expect his quickness and versatility to earn him some valuable touches.

Hayden Hurst: Hurst is one of the more interesting players on the roster, and the 22-year-old sophomore played two years of minor league baseball before walking on at South Carolina for the 2015 season. Listed at 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, Hurst certainly has the size to play tight end, and he caught eight passes for 106 yards last season in minimal action.

Hurst is listed at the top of the depth chart for the moment, and he's expected to make a valuable contribution at tight end this season. On the unproven offense, Hurst has shown flashes (such as his 47-yard catch against Texas A&M) and figures to be an important piece in the red zone.

K.C. Crosby: Crosby was beaten out by Hurst last season, but they are currently both listed as first-teamers on the preseason depth chart. Crosby was highly recruited, as ESPN rated him as a four-star prospect, the fourth-best tight end in the nation and the third-best player in South Carolina. At just 6-foot-1, 226 pounds, Crosby doesn't have the prototypical tight end size, but he certainly has a strong work ethic, being given Outstanding Weight Room honors in 2015.

Size is an issue that Hurst doesn't have, but Crosby was rated highly during his recruitment for a reason, and he'll be looking to prove it. While under the radar, this could be one of the more intriguing position battles throughout summer practice.

Let's also take a quick look at what we can expect from the rest of the true freshmen.

Kiel Pollard: At 6-foot, 232 pounds, Pollard doesn't have blazing speed, but he should fit in as a strong possession receiver in Columbia.

Randrecous Davis: Davis recently underwent surgery for a hernia, but his goal is to get on the field right away this season. He's a speedster who could compete for time in the slot with Smith.

C.J. Freeman: Most recruiting sites rank Freeman only slightly below Dowdle, but it is the latter who gets all the attention. Freeman averaged seven yards per carry as a senior while scoring 23 touchdowns, and while he figures to be a candidate to redshirt, the backfield will likely be an open competition early on.

Evan Hinson: A two-sport athlete, Hinson is expected to join the basketball team as well after football wraps up. Hinson is 6-foot-5 but only 230 pounds, which wouldn't be an issue at receiver, but the coaches want him to play tight end. Hinson has plenty of athleticism, but he'll need to fill out his skinny frame before contributing at tight end.

Korey Banks: Banks was considered a big win on signing day after he decommitted from North Carolina, but there is plenty of talent ahead of him. If any of these wide receivers are to redshirt, Banks is the most likely candidate, but a strong performance early in camp could change that.