Column: Let athletes use their platform

Last week, NBA stars LeBron James, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony spoke at the ESPYs, addressing some of the recent tragedies across America and presenting fellow athletes with a call to action. As some of the more prominent figures in American sports, the players made it clear that athletes have a responsibility to use their platform to speak out on social issues.

LeBron's message was simple: "We all have to do better."

This message isn't just relevant to the athletes who are idolized by many Americans. The leagues that govern these athletes need to "do better" as well.

After the shootings of Alton Sterling, Philando Castile and five Dallas police officers, players from three WNBA teams (the New York Liberty, Phoenix Mercury and Indiana Fever) have donned all black warmup shirts during shootarounds before games. On Thursday, the teams and participating players were fined by the WNBA for violating the league's uniform policy.

This storyline began on July 10, when the Minnesota Lynx players wore black and white shirts that said, "Change starts with us — Justice & Accountability," on the front and the names of the two aforementioned victims, a Dallas police shield and the words "Black Lives Matter" on the back. The team only wore the shirts for one game, and no fines were handed out. 

It's safe to assume that the Liberty, Mercury and Fever were fined because the league sent out a warning after the Lynx made national headlines. 

Fines like this aren't unprecedented in American sports. Last October, Pittsburgh Steelers running back DeAngelo Williams and cornerback William Gay were fined for uniform violations. Gay was wearing purple cleats to bring attention to domestic violence as his stepfather shot Gay's mother when the NFL veteran was just seven years old. 

Williams' "violation" was even more ridiculous. The league fined the tailback for having the message "Find The Cure," referencing his mother's battle with breast cancer written on his eye black during a game. Williams was fined just under $6,000 for the violation, which likely didn't make much of a dent in his bank account. But that isn't the point. 

The point is the message that the fines send. Athletes have a unique opportunity to take a stand against any number of issues, in their communities or around the world. It's one thing if the athlete violates the uniform policy to promote his or her self, such as Cam Newton's warmup shirt featuring himself and his son dabbing. (The NFL does not regulate what players wear before games.) But does it really make sense to take away the influential voice of athletes as they try to shed light on important issues?

I understand the reasoning of the WNBA and the NFL for issuing these fines. In the case of the two Steelers, the NFL wants to avoid one player setting himself apart from the team, as Gay did by wearing the Vikings' purple team cleats. But I don't think I need to explain the absurdity of fining Williams for his eye black. 

As for the WNBA players, let's keep in mind that this is the same league that sent "Orlando United" shirts to teams after the Pulse nightclub shooting. The trio of teams that was fined wore black shirts with the Adidas logo prominently featured, complying with the league's primary sponsor. These players and teams aren't hurting the league. The WNBA has actually made headlines for the first time in recent memory (which is an issue for another column).

Athletes have the spotlight of national media on them at all times, but particularly during games, warmups and press conferences. Rather than punishing players for making their thoughts known in an attempt to silence them, let's embrace players who are willing to make their voices heard. Athletes have a chance to make an incredible positive impact in our society. It's time their respective leagues let them embrace that opportunity.