In Brief: 8/27/16

Major breakthroughs announced in Drexel disappearance

Gruesome details were made public about the disappearance of Brittanee Drexel in new court documents, The State reports. An FBI agent quoted in the documents says Drexel was kidnapped while on spring break in Myrtle Beach in 2009, gang-raped and eventually murdered. Her kidnappers are said to have dumped her body in an alligator pit near McClellanville. An inmate in a separate case told officials the details in a "courthouse confession." The inmate implicated a father/son duo, though the pair's wife/mother denied the allegations.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Federal judge blocks HB2 enforcement on UNC campuses

A federal judge blocked North Carolina's controversial "bathroom bill" as it applies to University of North Carolina campuses, WIS reports. The judge ruled in favor of transgender students and faculty within the UNC system by saying the bill violates the Department of Education's Title IX provision. UNC was ordered to address bathroom accommodations on a "case-by-case basis." A similar bill was introduced in the South Carolina legislature in the Spring, but it never advanced.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Former Gamecock arrested on DUI charges

Former Gamecock cornerback Victor Hampton was arrested and charged with DUI, WLTX reports. Hampton, who is in custody at the Richland County Detention Center, was pulled over for a broken headlight on North Main Street and proceeded to fail a sobriety test. This is not the first time Hampton has been in trouble with the law. He has previously faced charges of disorderly conduct over a domestic dispute with his sister.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor