South Carolina to face well-rounded opponent in Texas A&M

In the team's first four games, South Carolina has split their season against four respectable, but significantly flawed opponents. Hosting 4-0 Texas A&M on Saturday, the Gamecocks will face their first test against a truly complete team, with the Aggies boasting a multidimensional, high-powered offense paired with a physical and disciplined defense. 

Through their first four games, Texas A&M's offense has averaged 43 points per game.  To put that in perspective, the Gamecocks have scored just 57 total points all season. 

Under the leadership of Kevin Sumlin, the Aggies' offenses have been characterized by robust passing games and less dynamic ground games. With Trevor Knight under center and possibly the best duo of receiving options in the SEC, Texas A&M still features a formidable aerial attack, but now they have established a premier running game too. 

The Aggies currently lead the SEC in total rushing yards by volume and are also the conference's most efficient running offense, averaging 7.04 yards per attempt. LSU is the next best coming in at 5.6  yards per attempt, while South Carolina ranks last with just 2.95  yards per attempt. The Aggies will employ a tandem of backs in freshman sensation Trayveon Williams and Oklahoma transfer Keith Ford. That look will be somewhat similar to what the Gamecocks saw against Kentucky. 

With receiving options like 2015 SEC Freshman of the Year Christian Kirk and a more vertical threat in Josh Reynolds, South Carolina's secondary will be under a lot of pressure. However, the unit has taken steps forward over the previous weeks and could receive another boost with the return of junior safety Chaz Elder.The emergence of junior cornerback Jamarcus King has also helped stabilized South Carolina's pass defense, but the threat Reynolds poses in particular should be worrisome to the Gamecocks. He has averaged a staggering 21.8 yards per reception,  and his length will be hard for an undersized secondary to defend. 

South Carolina quarterback Brandon McIlwain looked like a freshman at times in the Gamecocks' 17-10 loss to Kentucky, but still offers the most upside of South Carolina's viable quarterback options. McIlwain and his offensive line will have their work cut out for them if defensive end Myles Garrett is able to play after sustaining an ankle injury against Arkansas. Garrett, who is one of the elite pass rushers in the country and likely a top pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, is genetically engineered to wreak havoc on quarterbacks. After McIlwain was sacked four times against Kentucky, look for South Carolina to design their game around short screen passes and draws so that McIlwain can get the ball off with reduced pressure. 

South Carolina's receivers have been inconsistent for the most part this season, and sophomore Deebo Samuel's health status remains a major question mark. 

At the beginning of the season, Texas A&M stood out as a tough win for South Carolina on the schedule, and the Aggies' meteoric start hasn't done anything to improve those odds. To defeat such a complete opponent, South Carolina is going to have to play a mistake-free game and force its opponents to make errors, similar to what they did against ECU. 

Kickoff is slated for 4 p.m, and the game will be aired on SEC Network.