Chelsea Drennan earns moment of recognition with record-breaking assist

The No. 4 South Carolina women's soccer team pushed their winning streak to 13 games with their 3-1 victory over the No. 11 Arkansas Razorbacks. The winning streak and South Carolina's now sole possession of first place in the SEC overshadowed senior midfielder Chelsea Drennan's 34th career assist, a record-breaking total for the program. 

Not being in the limelight has never been an issue for Drennan, as her game has always revolved around making those around her better. In each of her first three seasons with the Gamecocks, she paced the team in assists. 

"It’s always been my style of play to pass it off to someone else to score the goals. That’s just the role I’ve kind of accepted and that I’ve played for so long," Drennan said before breaking the record. 

Drennan's first assist came less than a minute into regulation play when she set up senior forward Daija Griffin for a goal. 

Drennan would pad her own record in the 60th minute when she initiated a scoring opportunity by completing a pass to Griffin, who then connected with junior midfielder Lindsey Lane for the Gamecocks' third goal. That assist would bring Drennan's career tally to 35. 

Drennan now possesses six assists on the season, although junior forward Savannah McCaskill currently leads the Gamecocks this season with seven. 

The Gamecocks will continue their difficult schedule when they host Florida on Oct. 16, but for now, South Carolina can take a rare moment to acknowledge Drennan's career contributions.