South Carolina equestrian falls to Texas A&M by narrow margin

South Carolina's equestrian team walked away with a heartbreaking 10-8 loss against Texas A&M in the final minutes of the match. In a meet defined by constant momentum shifts, the Gamecocks just missed taking home what would be their second win of the regular season.

South Carolina’s reining team took to the ring and put up impressive numbers despite the 3-2 loss to Texas A&M. Freshman Caroline Gute turned in a score of a 70.5, not only earning a point for her team but also totaling the highest score of the day. Gute went on to earn MOP of the day for the Gamecocks, her first of the season. Madison Thiel, a sophomore from Ohio, earned the other point for the Gamecocks with a score of 68.

The Gamecocks took the equitation over fences with a decisive 4-1 victory in points. Riders Sydney Smith, Raleigh Bacharach, Chloe Schmidtand Madison Butehorn earned wins in their competitions against Texas A&M.

“The girls performed lights out; they were great," Coach Boo Major said about her over fences team.

Butehorn, who was the MOP against Baylor last week, was the leading scorer with an 85. Smith and Schmidt also each picked up scores of 84, while Bacharach also posted a respectable score of 79.

Horsemanship proved to be the hardest event on the Gamecocks for the day, with three of five points being awarded to the Aggies and the other two points resulting in draws. However, the margins of scores between matched competitors were no greater than a point. Megan Overberg, a junior from Ohio, put up a score of 74.5 to tie with Rachel Lucht and Sarah Orsak of Texas A&M for the highest score in horsemanship.

It was the equitation on the flat that was the true decider of the day. Junior Chloe Schmidt and freshman Katie Mack took home the points for the Gamecocks, while Texas A&M was awarded the three that gave them the win.

“I feel like our girls got a little tight,” Major said. “They knew that it was all coming down to them.”

In the end, it was nothing but praise from each coach to the opposite team.

“We knew we had to be on our game in every event,” Texas A&M Coach Tanna McKay said. “Nothing's a given.”

South Carolina will be back in action to host the Georgia Bulldogs at One Wood Farm again next Friday. The match is set for 2 p.m.