Change has been constant for Chris Silva

Adjustment is nothing new in Chris Silva’s life.

First, he had to adjust to a new country. The forward was born and raised in Gabon’s capital city of Libreville, but he moved to New Jersey for the chance to get a better education and continue his basketball career.

Along with the standard challenges that come with moving to a new place, Silva had to focus on relearning the game under American rules.

“Honestly, I was just worrying about getting better and working out every day and getting better, and everything just came along, and I followed the process,” Silva said.

While Silva was focusing on the game, scouts were focusing on him. ESPN ranked Silva No. 80 in their top 100, while 247sports.com said he was a four star recruit. He received offers from a number of flagship programs, including Georgetown and Seton Hall.

Ultimately, he committed to the Gamecocks. This meant moving from home once again. However, for Silva, the decision was simple.

“Coming here, it was just another trip for me that I had to make to get closer to my goal, that’s it,” the sophomore said.

Freshman year meant another set of adjustments: a new place, a new system, a new set of coaches and a new level of play. As he adapted to all of these changes, Silva also noticed a change in himself.

“A lot of learning,” Silva said of the transition. “Going from a boy to a man because I knew that I grew up from last year to this year a lot.”

Last year’s season was a mix of highs and lows for Silva. He averaged about 13 minutes per game, with an average of almost five rebounds per game and a total of 28 blocks. He was also one of five players suspended in March in connection to a BB pellet gun incident. The Gamecocks would go on to lose in the second round of the NIT to Georgia Tech.

Silva said the team is determined to “go further” and avoid losses similar to those of last season. The offseason has given him the chance to widen his range of skills as well as improve his shooting and free throws.

“I want to give everything for our basketball to win everything,” he said.