5 stories you may have missed over break

Outside Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Friday, Jan. 6, 2017, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (David Santiago/El Nuevo Herald/TNS)

Facebook looks to counter 'fake news' 

After unflattering headlines about the amount of "fake news" shared on the social networking giant, Facebook announced new steps to combat the issue. They partnered with fact checking sites such as PolitiFact and news organizations. Additionally, they announced new ways for users to report articles they think might be illegitimate.

Russian election influence called into question

New intelligence reports indicated that Russian government forces, led by controversial president Vladimir Putin, worked to influence the results of the American presidential election. The American intelligence community referenced the leaked emails from the Clinton campaign and the DNC. President-elect Donald Trump disputed the claims, leading to further questions about his relationship with Russia.

Fox favorites jump ship to NBC, MSNBC

Two conservatives darlings are launching new shows on what is considered the "liberal" news network in the new year. Megyn Kelly inked a new deal with NBC after months of negotiations to renew her contract at Fox. She'll get her own daytime talk show as well as a Sunday evening news magazine show and a role in covering major news events. Greta van Susteren, who left Fox over the departure of Roger Ailes, will also launch her own new show on MSNBC.

Fort Lauderdale airport shooting kills five

Five people were killed and many more injured when a gunman opened fire at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport just after the start of the new year. The gunman was quickly identified as an Iraq War veteran who had previously claimed that the the government was executing "mind control" over him. He faces multiple charges, some of which carry the possibility of the death penalty.

Hollywood royalty pass over holidays

The holiday season lent major blows to famous holiday families. Zsa Zsa Gabor, one of the set of Hungarian sisters that made their mark on the American social scene, passed away at the age of 99. Iconic actress, comedienne and activist Carrie Fisher died just days after having a heart attack, and her passing was quickly followed by the death of her mother Debbie Reynolds, who was best known for her breakout role in "Singin' in the Rain." Singer and activist George Michael also died during the Christmas holiday.