Column: Dogs need better treatment

Dogs are commonly known as man’s best friend. As the chosen furry companion for 44 percent of Americans, dogs are often viewed as a friend, protector and family member rolled into one. However, dogs’ basic needs are being overlooked more and more.

Currently, more than half of all dogs in America are overweight or obese. Unfortunately, unhealthy habits of owners seem to be taking their toll on the health of their dogs. In a recent survey by Pet360, only 56 percent of dog owners said they walked their dog once a day. Even worse, one third of all owners surveyed said they hardly walk their dog at all.

As much as most dog-owners love their dogs and view them as a part of the family, they cannot forget they are animals and need their daily exercise. Dogs require at least 30 minutes of activity a day and simply putting a dog in the backyard for a half hour does not count towards this exercise. Daily walks are extremely important in maintaining a dog’s health and happiness.

Dogs used to perform tasks such as herding, hunting and guarding more in the past than they do now. While it is good that dogs are no longer seen mainly as a source of labor, we need to remember that their instinctive need for purpose and exercise has not changed. While we might be happy staying in our homes all day watching TV, the dog laying on the floor next to us deserves at least the minimum requirement of a half-hour of activity.

It is possible that some pet owners simply don’t have the time to go on a walk every day with their dog due to work or family matters. However, if this is the case, a dog should not have been purchased in the first place. While the draw to owning a dog might be hard to resist, it cannot be forgotten that that tiny puppy with the big soulful eyes will one day turn into a large animal that requires space and activity. If an owner cannot commit to the time requirement owning such an animal will give them, there are other choices of pets to choose from.