Carolina Productions hosts National Walk a Dog Day event outside of Russell House

Feb. 22 is National Walking the Dog Day, so Carolina Productions hosted Pawmetto Lifeline, a local no-kill shelter for dogs and cats on Greene St.

“It is national 'walk a dog' event; it’s a nationwide program and [Carolina Productions] asked us to come out and give some time for students to get some love and attention from our pups,” said Magen Sier, the director of volunteer programs at Pawmetto Lifeline. “Everybody we brought out today is on 'adoption row,' so they are looking for homes, but our goal today for Pawmetto Lifeline is to see if anybody would like to join the volunteer pack or the foster team.”

Volunteers can go to Pawmetto Lifeline to walk the dogs and "get some dog love," which is perfect for on-campus residents. Students who live off-campus in pet friendly accommodations can sign up to foster dogs and have a “temporary” pet while saving an animal from euthanasia.

Erin Meyer, a second-year GSCOM student, said, “it’s made [my day] a lot better. I've been up since 7 a.m., so it’s nice to take a break in the middle of the day.”

“Even at home, I volunteer with animal shelters. I love dogs, so I would definitely [volunteer],” first-year psychology student Shannon Hawley said. “[This event] made me so happy. There are so many cute dogs and they’re really good at relieving stress.”

Whitney Parks, a first-year nursing student, said that after this event she would consider adopting or fostering a dog. “This has made me a lot happier today,” she said. “This is a really happy thing.”