Stick it to the man: celebrating National Something on a Stick Day

What can you put on a stick? Almost anything you want, according to Carolina Productions.

March 28 is National Something on a Stick Day, and Carolina Productions hosted a celebration accordingly.

“Our purpose for doing this is to have a good event for the students to come out and have some fun and de-stress for a couple minutes,” said Paul Larmore, the daytime event coordinator for Carolina Productions.

Students were welcomed into the Carolina Productions tent on Greene Street to make their very own stick art. Provided with graphics to cut out and glue onto popsicle sticks, students were encouraged to either rep their team with a miniature USC flag, tote the Final Four logo or even make a masquerade mask, decorated to their fancy.

“National Something on a Stick Day is very intriguing ... You can make cool knickknacks to take to class and kind of brighten everyone’s day,” said Laffon Brelland Jr., a fourth-year English student.

While students visited the booth, Larmore advertised Carolina Production’s upcoming events on a large poster board and encouraged students to come to future activities and shows.

“If you enjoy super fun events or want to get involved, come to Carolina Productions meetings every Sunday from 5-7:30 in Russell House 315,” Larmore said.

Students gathered around the booth, picking out their favorite design and then cutting and pasting it onto the sticks, some trying on their masquerade masks.

Brelland said he had never heard of the holiday before, yet seemed open to the idea and created several crafts of his own.

“Anything on a stick is good right? Chicken on a stick, food on a stick. If it’s on a stick it has to be great,” Brelland said.

“Every week we have a committee meeting Sunday and our committee decided we’re doing a monthly holiday, so this is going to be our holiday for the month,” Larmore said at today’s event.

Although one student commented that the event might have been more fun and attracted a greater audience had there been some kind of food provided to put on a stick, she remained optimistic.

“We had a lot of interesting people come out and we had good conversations and it was a lot of fun,” said Elisa Bocchino, a first-year public health student.