Events and Releases: April 17 - 23

Events

Tuesday, April 18

Maestro Portnoy’s Grand Finale Set

Maestro Portnoy and the USC Symphony orchestra are performing pieces from the Romantic period including Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto in D Major with special guest Vadim Gluzman. Tickets are $30 for the general public and $8 for USC students.

Wednesday, April 19

El Sur

"El Sur" is a collection of short films that document the Latinx experience.  Opening night is Wednesday, shows run through April 22.  Featured films include "In My South," "A Day’s Work," "La Comida de los Cocineros," "La Danza," "South Texas Cow Punk" and "For Senator Graham." The first screening will follow a keynote speech from artist in residence Favianna Rodriguez.

Red Hot Chili Peppers

This iconic rock group is playing at the Colonial Life Arena on Wednesday night.  The show stars at 8 p.m. and tickets go from $52 and up.  Performances by BABYMETAL and Jack Irons will open the show.

Thursday, April 20

Indie Grits 

This annual art, food, music, film and video game festival starts Thursday and continues through the weekend.  The opening event of the festival is a block party on Main Street. Lambchop and Curtis Harding will perform sets at the event. There will also be food trucks and the opportunity to see art that inspired this year's Indie Grits theme, "Visiones." 

Friday, April 21

Jerry Seinfeld

Comedian Jerry Seinfeld will be performing a traditional stand-up set at the Township Auditorium Friday at 7 p.m. Tickets cost between$49 to $125.

Saturday, April 22

Sheep Shearing

April 22 is Earth Day, and although a sheep shearing may sound odd, it can be a great way to celebrate the holiday. On Saturday, Old McCaskill's Farm is hosting their spring sheep shearing. The event is open to the general public to attend for $5. Visitors can tour the farm and see the other livestock that the farm possesses.

Sunday, April 23

A Chefs' Feast

Celebrity chefs from around Columbia will be present at the first annual "A Chefs' Feast" dinner. The proceeds of this event will benefit Transitions, a homeless shelter in Columbia. Tickets are $125 and include a multi-course dinner with expert wine pairings.

Releases:

Tuesday, April 18

Disney Afternoon Collection 

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series Episode 1

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC, iOS, Android