Top 2018 in-state QB Dakereon Joyner to make decision Sunday

The wait for the top in-state signal-caller's decision is almost over. 

2018 Fort Dorchester four-star quarterback Dakereon Joyner will make his college decision on Father's Day, which is Sunday, a date he chose months ago to honor his father, who passed away on July 19, 2009. He'll make the announcement at his North Charleston school, officially making a pledge to either South Carolina or N.C. State, but he said the decision was made weeks ago.

Joyner, the No. 177 player in the class and No. 3 in South Carolina according to ESPN, has been a top target for Will Muschamp and his staff from the beginning, as the Gamecocks look to continue to lock down in-state talent.

“Come run your state, stay true to your state, come be the man in your state,” Joyner told The Post and Courier when asked about Muschamp's pitch.

The pitch worked during the 2017 cycle, Muschamp's first at the helm in Columbia, as the Gamecocks secured the state's top six players, including wide receivers OrTre Smith and Shi Smith, the consensus top two players in the Palmetto State. 

Joyner would add to a thin quarterback group for the Gamecocks, who currently have sophomore Jake Bentley, redshirt junior Michael Scarnecchia and three-star freshman Jay Urich on scholarship at the position. South Carolina and N.C. State are among few schools to recruit Joyner exclusively at quarterback, as he's been recruited by several top programs, including Clemson, as an athlete. 

Joyner was present at almost every 2016 home game in Columbia, and he's 95 percent likely to join the Gamecocks, according to 247 Sports' Crystal Ball. The senior, who was named as the South Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year last year, was responsible for 4,734 yards of total offense and 56 touchdowns in his junior season.