ESPN ranks USC's receiving trio as SEC's best

In a list published on ESPN Tuesday, Edward Aschoff rated South Carolina's trio of Deebo Samuel, Bryan Edwards and Hayden Hurst as the best in the SEC for the 2017 season.

Samuel, last year's team leader in receptions (59) and yards (783), was used all over the field, working as a receiver, ball-carrier, return man and even a passer on a trick play, where he threw a touchdown to Edwards. The redshirt junior is expected to be a Swiss army knife for the Gamecocks yet again in 2017, and coaches hope he can stay healthy for an entire season, something he's yet to do in Columbia.

Edwards broke onto the scene during his first game in the garnet and black, surpassing 100 yards in the 2016 season opener. Heading into his sophomore year, Edwards is a sure-fire starter on the outside, and he's built strong chemistry with sophomore quarterback Jake Bentley after finishing last season with 590 receiving yards.

Hurst, who Aschoff said has potential to be the SEC's top tight end, was named a team captain in his first season as a starter in 2016. The former minor league baseball player set several program records for tight end production, finishing the season with 48 catches for 616 yards.

The three standouts are part of a South Carolina offense that returns 10 starters, in addition to bringing in the top two in-state prospects from the 2017 recruiting class in wide receivers OrTre Smith and Shi Smith.