Five under-the-radar Gamecocks heading into 2017

<p>Union County wide receiver Shi Smith, a four-star recruit, has a chance to make an impact as a runner, receiver and return man as a true freshman.</p>
Union County wide receiver Shi Smith, a four-star recruit, has a chance to make an impact as a runner, receiver and return man as a true freshman.

We all know about Jake Bentley, Deebo Samuel and Bryson Allen-Williams. 

For South Carolina to build on a better-than-expected 2016 season, those three guys, as well as some others, are going to have to play well. There's no doubt about that. 

But who could be in for a breakout year? The Gamecocks were tied for most true freshman starters in the country (seven), and six more newcomers saw the field in their first year out of high school. Guys like Jamyest Williams and OrTre Smith are expected to contribute as early as 2017, but who will unexpectedly break out and be this season's Rico Dowdle? 

Let's take a look at underrated players who could become household names in the Palmetto State this season.

Shi Smith, wide receiver

Smith, the No. 2 recruit in the state in 2017, has been overshadowed by OrTre Smith, the only in-state player ranked ahead of him. In a crowded position group, Shi Smith's versatility could help him stand out. At his Signing Day ceremony, the Union County speedster compared his game to Deebo Samuel, saying that the coaching staff expects to use him as a ball-carrier and return specialist, as well as a receiver.

The four-star Smith was electric with the ball in his hands in high school, giving offensive coordinators Kurt Roper and Bryan McClendon plenty to work with. Smith should benefit from having talented weapons like Samuel, Bryan Edwards and Hayden Hurst around him, as he should see plenty of favorable matchups in single coverage, though he may not get too many touches. 

K.C. Crosby, tight end

Hurst gets the majority of the recognition out of the Gamecocks' tight end group, but it was Crosby who tied for a team-high with four touchdowns, emerging as a quality red zone target thanks to his stocky 6-foot-1, 230-pound frame. The redshirt junior was key for the Gamecocks in two-tight end sets, playing alongside Hurst, and Crosby was occasionally featured in the offense's frequent tight end screens. A former top 150 prospect, Crosby could become a touchdown machine in a potentially prolific South Carolina passing attack.

D.J. Wonnum, defensive lineman

Wonnum wasn't expected to be a major contributor as a freshman in 2016, but he earned a spot in the defensive line rotation, playing in all 13 games and registering 32 tackles. The Georgia native proved he could be disruptive at times as well, finishing with 3.5 tackles for loss, including 1.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles. 

Expected to start at the buck position this season, Wonnum could become a lethal pass rusher as the Gamecocks look to rebuild the dangerous defensive front of years past. SEC Network analyst Cole Cubelic tweeted that Wonnum "is a name that you will know by the end of the season on the Gamecocks defense." He's right. At 6-foot-4 and 248 pounds, Wonnum has the combination of size and speed needed to compete every down in the SEC.

T.J. Brunson, linebacker

The linebacker position has the least depth of any spot on the Gamecocks depth chart, with just three scholarship players having any college experience at the position. Outside of Allen-Williams and Skai Moore, Brunson has the most experience, having registered 12 tackles in 11 games last season as a freshman. 

Brunson, who said he learned a lot from Jonathon Walton, will be expected to help fill the void left by his former mentor and T.J. Holloman, who graduated after last season. In 2016, all three starting linebackers finished with at least 68 tackles, so you can expect to hear Brunson's name a lot throughout the 2017 season. 

Michael Almond, kicker/punter

Like linebacker, special teams isn't a particularly experienced position group for South Carolina, now that Elliott Fry and Sean Kelly have moved on. Almond doesn't have a starting spot yet, as he's battling two different guys at two different positions, but the redshirt sophomore has the versatility to work as either a placekicker or punter and the talent to likely stick at one spot, at least. Almond debuted in the Birmingham Bowl, averaging 44 yards on two punts while limiting South Florida to just two return yards, though the Bulls averaged nearly 10 per punt return for the season. 

Almond drilled a 41-yard punt inside the 20 during the 2017 spring game, and he's in a battle with Joseph Charlton to replace Kelly. Alex Wozniak took a huge step toward securing the placekicking duties in the spring game, nailing three kicks from 47 yards or longer.