Head to head: 'Game of Thrones' season seven is one of the best seasons yet

Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington in season 7, episode 7 of 'Game of Thrones.' (HBO)

This year’s season of 'Game of Thrones' was much anticipated by longtime fans and newcomers alike. After the drama-filled finale to season six, watchers of the HBO hit show were on the edge of their seats with this season’s premiere, and they never really left those spots for the next six episodes. 

Viewers were left with a lot of questions at the end of the sixth season — what will happen when Daenerys reaches Westeros, did Ceresi really do that and most of all, what in the Seven Kingdoms is going to happen now? I, for one, found all of those questions answered and more this season. In fact, I think the seventh season was one of the best yet — and here’s why (spoiler free).  

Bringing a lot of firsts to the show, the penultimate season is important for helping bring the series to a close. Winter is finally here, and it carries White Walkers, dragons and major political tension with it. Fans saw comebacks from characters we hadn’t seen in seasons, introductions between major characters that have never met and an even more pressing threat from the North.  

For a show that has moved beyond the book material, the writers do an incredible job at remaining loyal to the plot and characters while continuing to engage the fanbase. All loose strings are tied up and, by the season finale, watchers are prepared for what is to come.

Not only do we see characters meet well-planned ends, but reveals and meetings we have been waiting to see for seasons finally came to fruition. Even while we know that the show is coming to an end, the characters themselves seem to sense that as well. The Great War is coming, and the creators of the show make sure everyone knows it this season.  

So, while some fans may feel like the speed was too fast in the seventh season, or that there wasn’t enough death to stay true to Martin’s typical plot, or any load of other opinions about the seven episode season, I believe it was the perfect way to start bringing the series to a close and lead to the ultimate season. 

If you are like me, you already can’t wait until the eighth and final season of the beloved fantasy show. The six-episode season may not air until 2019, but the wait will only help build anticipation for the premiere. Since the seveth season was well worth the wait, I expect the eighth season will be even better.

For a different take on GoT season seven, see Darby Hallman's review.