Gamecocks rebound on third down defense

The South Carolina defense could not get off the field on third down against Georgia last week. 

Georgia, which was ranked No. 1 in the nation, was 8-for-13 on third down on its way to a 24-10 win over the Gamecocks in Athens. 

One week later, third down defense was key in the Gamecocks' 28-20 win over Florida at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday. 

The Gamecocks limited Florida to just two first downs on 15 attempts, while applying heavy pressure to quarterbacks Malik Zaire and Feleipe Franks and successfully holding the Gators' run game at bay. 

This season, the Gamecocks have held opponents to a 42 percent success rate (63-for-149) on third down, which made last week's struggles against Georgia seem out of the ordinary. 

"The game plan it ... hasn't changed." said sophomore defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw. 

Head coach Will Muschamp added, "We were much better on third down defensively ... I thought T-Rob and the defensive staff did a really great job of creating some one-on-ones. We flushed [Florida's quarterback] early in the game ... we had him on the perimeter a lot."

Next week, the Gamecocks face Wofford, which was clicking at just under 49 percent for the season entering Saturday. The Gamecocks' last regular season opponent — the Clemson Tigers — will come to town. Entering Saturday, the Tigers were at just under 45 percent (62-for-138) on third down.

The Gamecocks will look to continue this third down defensive efficiency in their next two games, and into their bowl game, in an effort to build on an already clinched winning season.