Cromley croons outdoors

USC student enjoys taking guitar outside, finds inspiration in nature

Sweet melodies and a soulful strum fill the terrace behind West Quad, with passers-by stopping to take a listen to the captivating sound coming from the upper ledge. The acoustic guitar and stripped-down pop vocals command attention, adding an unexpected backtrack to campus life.

Livening up the sidewalks, street corners and staircases of USC with his impromptu acoustic performances, second-year nursing student Rob Cromley is USC's own "Curbside Prophet."

Cromley, who has been playing guitar for three years, can be found almost every night outside different spots around campus, namely East Quad, playing original songs and some of his favorites with a little twist.

"Playing outside is about playing in nature. You can see the trees writing ideas onto the leaves and watch them drop those leaves off like love letters onto the sidewalk," Cromley said. "That's where I find them and write back to them."

With musical and lyrical inspirations such as John Mayer, Jon Foreman of Switchfoot and Chris Carrabba of Dashboard Confessional, the young songster centers his performance on favorites, playing to his mood rather than a set list.

"I like songs that change your mood," Cromley said. "'Stop This Train' [Mayer] is a song that I really feel satisfied playing because of the mood it puts out. But, when I'm feeling a good fantasy, 'Your Body Is a Wonderland' [Mayer] suits."

Although he usually draws an audience to his unscheduled, on-the-spot performances, Cromley plays for himself, and actually prefers to find more secluded spots.

"The thing about playing alone with all your heart out is people walk by and see it bleeding all over the place, and as they come over to help you, you have to clean up after yourself with small talk like," Cromley said.

Aside from singing as a member of the university chorus, Cromley only performs his music with one person, Daniel Simons, a former USC student, who has gone on to pursue music in the industry.

"Of course, when it comes to jamming, I play with everyone, even if they have no musical talent. I like to think of love as a symphony," Cromley said.

Cromley has performed around town, at New Brookland Tavern and in a few bars around Five Points, and he is hoping to hone his skill as a solo performer before finding a full band. He has also played at Carolina Productions' Acoustic Cafe in the Russell House.

"[My first show was] the Acoustic Cafe at Starbucks, with the only girl I ever knew how to trust — Taylor, my guitar," Cromley said.

As a nursing student, Cromley is also hoping to bring music into the medical field, lending music to the healing process in a whole new way.

"Think about this: Has music ever made you feel better? I have come to view the artists I listen to simply as caring faculty in a bigger picture," Cromley said. "My goal is to have unimposing and hospitable intentions with music for a patient. With that, create an environment where the patient can feel and understand my own empathy through the medium of music."

Cromley's healing tunes can be caught all around campus, even, admittedly, on his way to class. Be sure to stop and take a quick listen next time you spot him and his guitar, and look out for his appearance at the Acoustic Cafe next semester.