Notebook: Jeffery hits career mark

Wideout passes 2,000 yards in just two seasons

Wide receiver Alshon Jeffery reached a career milestone Saturday, eclipsing the 2,000 yard mark in only his second season of play.

The Saint Matthews native led the USC receiving corps with 141 yards and a touchdown Saturday against Clemson. He played the best in the first half, accumulating 126 yards and making hard catches look easy.

WILD PENALTY: One of the funnier moments of the game was a false start penalty called on USC in the third quarter.

Clemson defensive end Da’quan Bowers mistimed his blitz and jumped about five yards offsides. He didn’t touch anyone on USC’s offensive line, but Garcia motioned to snap the ball.

Offensive tackle Hutch Eckerson jumped and tapped Bowers, who was already behind the line of scrimmage.

The referees ended up calling a false start on Eckerson on the play, who was visibly upset on the field after the referee made the call.

CUNNINGHAM MAKES THE GRAB: Jeffrey wasn’t the only USC player to catch some passes Saturday. Sophomore tight end Justice Cunningham provided quarterback Stephen Garcia with an alternate look that paid dividends for USC.

The Pageland native finished the game with two catches for 33 yards, both for USC first downs. His longest came on a 25-yard bootleg play that had Garcia throwing to his left after running right. Cunningham’s performance comes from a position that has struggled throughout much of the season.

HISTORY ON THE ROAD: It has been a while since USC has beaten Clemson in consecutive years. The last time USC did it was when the beat the Tigers three times in a row from 1968-1970. Radio personality Tommy Suggs was USC’s quarterback during those seasons.

This win against Clemson was the first time USC has won back-to-back road games since they beat Ole Miss and Kentucky in 2008. The previous time that they won two straight road games was when they beat Vanderbilt and Kentucky in 2006.

Saturday also marked the first time since 2001 that USC has won nine games in a season. Coach Steve Spurrier can tie the all-time record of 10 wins set by Joe Morrison in 1984 with a win against Auburn or in the bowl game. He can break the record with a win in both games.

EXTRA POINT FLUB: Spencer Lanning failed to convert on an extra point for the third time this season. This time he got it blocked after the first USC touchdown on the night. He had previously missed extra points against Auburn and Florida.

BOWLS IN ATTENDANCE: The Chick-fil-A Bowl and the Independence Bowl were both at Clemson on Saturday night to view potential invitees. However, the Independence Bowl was there to scout Clemson, as the game is no longer affiliated with the Southeastern Conference. There were no NFL scouts on hand.